Piling on...

ddb

Reaction score
Ard just closed a thread that had lengthy, loud, and universal rejection of the OP's entry point.

I'm not reopening that thread but expressing my strong dislike for the tendency to swarm when there is blood in the water. The main points in opposition were briefly and masterfully made within the first half dozen responses. After that, one upsmanship led to increasingly overdone overkill. God know where it would have led left unclosed.

I have seen this take place before on sites with no adult supervision and it ain't pretty or conducive to folk breaching novel ideas or different points of view. IMO that spoils the dialogues and just lures in hyenas.

ddb

fffl

Reaction score
wouldn't life be boring if we all felt the same about everything . opinions are like *******s everyone has one , who's to say with one is right.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions, however, when there is little respect shown for other forum members and the premise turns to demeaning others, nothing constructive or beneficial to the greater forum community can occur.

We, as ethical sportsmen, have an obligation, to perpetuate and foster, by example, a community who's spirit lies within a tenured and rich tradition of preservation and hollowed appreciation of nature and one another. To that regard, every member of a forum around such, regardless of opposition of opinion, deserves to be treated respectfully.

Sadly, as was topic-ed here, swarming of negativity can sometimes cause a domino effect. It's in these instances that ramped immaturity, rather than rational control and acceptance of mutual respect, can often reign supreme. I thank Ard for taking the appropriate action in closing the thread. I hope others will view the forum as a privilege, and a place where we can learn, grow, and experience community through shared common interest, and further, conduct ourselves on a level that befits a fly fisherman and the rich tradition of fly fishing.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
We should always try to play nice. I'm not even sure what thread you refer to. It doesn't matter. IMO it's best when we self police when the opportunity arises, rather than throw gas on the fire. We shouldn't need a mod to correct most of our "problems" here. These threads usually get a very high volume of hits. Few bother to make the thread better. They just drop in to read the drama numerous times a day. That's the internet I guess. This is a very good place, but it will never be perfect.

JoJer

Reaction score
I've been flamed, I've watched flames. One forum I was on had a member who seemed to encourage it- he wasn't contrary, he was weird and told obvious lies. He was banned three time before it (seemed) they got rid of him for good.
I have no qualms at all about recommending this site to anyone. At the local sportsman's show, we talked to a lot of new/interested anglers and I sent a dozen here. I also send the parents and kids from the tying club here. I'm so glad this site continues to be the friendly, well monitored place that it is.

Last edited:

myt1

Reaction score
I agree.

I friggin' love this forum, but I am definitely guilty of drinking a little too much coffee in the morning and then writing posts where I'm way too high on myself.

I have always regretted it.

More and more, maybe it is a result of all the yoga I've been doing, if I see a post that really gets me going I try to take some deep breaths and wait until at least the next day before I make a response.

And, sadly, I still fail miserably at times...I hate that.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I agree.

I friggin' love this forum, but I am definitely guilty of drinking a little too much coffee in the morning and then writing posts where I'm way too high on myself.

I have always regretted it.

More and more, maybe it is a result of all the yoga I've been doing, if I see a post that really gets me going I try to take some deep breaths and wait until at least the next day before I make a response.

And, sadly, I still fail miserably at times...I hate that.
Agreed, we (every one of us) are all guilty at one time or another.....being cognoscente of it and rationalizing the value we may or may not add by comment, before doing so,....is probably the best and most rational thing we can do for the greater forum community.

That was basically my premise earlier in the original post, if the comments being made weren't adding value, and were not respectful to the OP (another member of the forum community), then why make them at all? It's not at all necessary nor appropriate to demean anyone regardless of ones assessment of a differing opinion on the topic brought forward. Entitled to opinion, yes. Entitled to respectfully present opposing viewpoint, sure. Entitled to disrespect or demean another member in point, not appropriate.

This a great venue to share with other like interest peers, and if we keep respect for the forum and other members first in mind, hopefully, it will continue to be a place that we can all enjoy and be proud to be part of for many years to come.

JoJer

Reaction score
I can't count the times I've started some smarty pants reply then decided not to post at all. I'm still waiting for some word wizard to invent a sarcasm font. I think it would really stop some pee fights before they start.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I have 300+ comments on this forum, but have hit the "cancel" tab more than that. I try to think of my words on the internet like plastic bottles, you have to be responsible with them or they will litter our public space forever.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think piling on is just part of human nature, and one could be guilty before they realize it...I don't know about you however I am a human and could be guilty of lots of things that I didn't intend on doing :) my 2 cents CB

myt1

Reaction score
I think piling on is just part of human nature, and one could be guilty before they realize it...I don't know about you however I am a human and could be guilty of lots of things that I didn't intend on doing :) my 2 cents CB
"Human nature, Mr. Allnutt, is what were placed on this earth to raise above"

-Katharine Hepburn to Humphrey Bogart in "The African Queen".