Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tick season is upon us !

Permethrin once concerned me because of my extended use of it in the Army. They passed it out like free suckers at the bank. It worked well and we were camping out in deer tick country a month a year for decades. I don't see any class action lawsuits so that's good.

Bottom lines is I don't not hardly knot hardly not thunk it affected me much at all. It did however cause all my kids to be born naked.

2. Likes ejsell, cpiercem, slipshift, tx_newb liked this post

Permethrin treated socks,shirts, and pants have really cut down on the tick collection for me here in Idaho.

I don't want to change the topic, but I do wonder how safe Permethrine treated clothes are for the fish if I wet wade in treated pants. Does anyone know if any studies have been done on it?
    Cindy

Permethrin is very low water solubility.

"Permethrin is almost insoluble in water (0.2 mg/litre at 30C), but is soluble in organic solvents such as acetone, hexane, and xylene. It is stable to light and heat, but unstable in alkaline media."

is permethrin water soluble - Google Search
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

5. Thanks cpiercem thanked for this post
    Likes ejsell liked this post

Water can't affect it very much if the label on my manufacturer-treated pants is any test.

The label says the treatment will last through 70 washings.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Paul

7. Likes ejsell, cpiercem liked this post

That's great info to have. I had never dosed my wet wading pants before but now i'm going to start.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had a bottle of GI bug repellant in my briefcase. The cap cracked and it leaked. It melted my AM/FM radio. It took 4 days for the plastic to harden. Sounds safe.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

10. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

After pulling two ticks off me already this spring, I just stocked up on more Sawyer Permethrin (pump spray; for clothes) and Picaridin (lotion; for me). I'm waiting for some treated clothes to dry so I can head into the woods this afternoon.

I hate ticks.

Bob
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

12. Likes cpiercem, ia_trouter liked this post

Here in the Ozarks, ticks are just a way of life. During tick season I remove an average 1/2 dozen ticks a day. The worst ones are the very tiny ones because they will burrow their whole bodies into your skin, and I have to dig them out with an Xacto knife. Luckily, not much disease down here yet.

Jim

14. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    I had a bottle of GI bug repellant in my briefcase. The cap cracked and it leaked. It melted my AM/FM radio. It took 4 days for the plastic to harden. Sounds safe.
    Are you made of plastic? No you aren't, so enough of your anectdotal innuendo. VA is honoring their commitment for a lifetime of free bad medical care.

That was some good bug juice. It was the only thing I had to soften those hardazz camou sticks they made us use so we could dress up for war prom. About halfway through my military career we final got a Battalion Commander with some sense. He said something like this.... "We are a 155mm cannon battalion. We make more noise than a Led Zeppelin concert. Camou up if you like but it's F'in stupid because we aren't hiding from anyone out here" I loved that man lol.

Back on topic now, ticks are very bad. I have two friends that are really messed up because they had lyme's disease and didn't know what it was for a long time.

We remember the good bosses fondly. Lots more bad ones we'll hate forever.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

17. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast