Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tick season is upon us !

I’ve found it interesting how more than one person I’m acquainted with has gotten Lyme’s disease, but the medical professionals took seemingly forever to figure it out. Meanwhile, the disease went on unchecked wreaking havoc in the patients. Lyme’s disease has to be something on the medical community’s radar, but maybe it’s just hard to spot and diagnose?

Thankfully, I live in an essentially tick free zone, which is a mystery in of itself. When I lived in Massachusetts, ticks were a big thing to watch out for and any walk in the woods especially in the spring led to several on your person. I was pretty good about getting the ticks off before they got attached.

For 20 plus years, I was an urban pest control professional and used Permethrin for a variety of critters. As I remember all that, permethrin was a synthetic variant of pyrethrin, a natural insecticide found in Chrysanthemum plants. You wouldn’t want it to get into a watershed as most pesticides are quite toxic to fish and other invertebrates, but once it’s dry, it’s not likely to wash off your clothes in any significant amount.

Permethrin is a lot less acutely toxic to humans by skin exposure or taken orally than caffeine for example. Caffeine serves the coffee plant in the same way pyrethrin serves the chrysanthemum, keeping deleterious bugs away. Nicotine is another flowering plant synthesized insecticide that works on the nervous system.

But always follow label instructions. People mess up their pets, themselves, and others when they go off script regarding pesticides. I’ve witnessed that many times over the years. “If one is good, three is three times as good” is the mentality, but it doesn’t work that way.

Always follow label instructions is the best bet on any insecticide. Can’t say it enough.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

2. Likes slipshift liked this post

If any of you saw the recent "Joni 75" concert tribute movie you saw what Lyme Disease did to Kris Kristofferson.
    For the longest time they thought he had Alzheimer's before realizing it was Lyme.
    They changed his treatment and he's better than he was, but there was no full recovery

He's at the 9 minute mark
    Brave man

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    I’ve found it interesting how more than one person I’m acquainted with has gotten Lyme’s disease, but the medical professionals took seemingly forever to figure it out. Meanwhile, the disease went on unchecked wreaking havoc in the patients. Lyme’s disease has to be something on the medical community’s radar, but maybe it’s just hard to spot and diagnose? ...
    I'm just a layman of course, but it isn't easy to diagnose. It would be nice if you could get a blood test or an x-ray and find it. Another problem is the most obvious symptom is joint pain. Unfortunately that is also a symptom of being 40+ years old, or maybe pouring cement of roofing houses for a living. In the case of my two friends they didn't go to the doc for months, then they were treated for old people stuff. Mild pain relievers etc. Well after a year or so, they are showing signs of neurological problems. Then the real medical testing started. They both had substantial recoveries, but some damage was done forever. One of them lives in the Northwoods of Minnesota. Literally in the woods where ticks are thick. That misdiagnosis for years seemed unexcusable to me.

I believe that is what my friend who is in the IL State Senate is trying to fix. Raise awareness enough so patients are telling their doctors they are outdoors and at risk. Trying to make enough noise so doctors might test for it earlier? I don't know that they aren't already, but the very late diagnosis theme seems way too common. I think I'll go post his Facebook page now and ask for a few links. Put it back up on the top of his page again. I'll take the liberty of telling him the concerned fly fisherman of America support his efforts if that's OK. The reality is he is just a farmer and former military man with a lot of constituents that fish and hunt the upper Midwest. But I am thrilled he took up this cause.

5. Likes karstopo liked this post
  6. Default Re: Tick season is upon us !

There are tests for Lyme's disease. If you live in an area where Lyme's is prevalent your physician should be aware of symptoms, tests, treatment. The problem is you can be infected by a deer tick which are so small that they drop off without you knowing you were bit. The early symptoms of Lyme's can be similar to any flu-like virus so you don't go to the doctor until you don't get better or symptoms worsen. Then treatment with antibiotics may not be as effective. I have had both Lyme's and Ehrlichiosis and they are not fun. Best advice, use tick repellent and check for ticks after being outdoors in tick areas.

I’ve avoided lymes so far with my encounters with ticks. I see the issues friends deal with that have lymes and read these stories, and try my best at repelling and detecting ticks. I’ve cut back on certain activities because of trying to avoid them. Good luck and stay safe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123