Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Tick season is upon us !

I was talking to my nephew earlier today. He is a Nurse Practitioner and he is currently treating two of his patients for Lyme Disease. His practice is in Eastern NY near the Mass border. Okay folks it is a good idea to check yourself for ticks after fishing.
    Those ticks are hanging out on the tips of plants waiting for a warm blooded creature to walk by. From what I have read, most of the people on this forum are warm blooded (with a couple of exceptions ). Adios Philip

2. Likes ia_trouter, mcnerney, ejsell, tx_newb liked this post

Default Re: Tick season is upon us !

Somewhat on topic. A good old Army friend of mine won a seat in the Illinois State Senate. REP Danial Swanson. I thought he was nuts to run in Illinois due his party affiliation. To my surprise he has made Lyme's disease his life's mission. Awareness, prevention, treatment research etc. Making considerable noise and beginning to make some headway. Good to see IMO because it is an epidemic in the northern Midwest. MN and WI, and moving south.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

We have Wood Ticks everywhere up here, but, so far, the Deer Tick population is fairly low in this area. Only time before it catches up to the rest with Deer Ticks also.

6. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Eastern CT is the epicenter of Lyme Disease and nearly everyone that I know has had it. Including my wife... twice
    Everyone that is except for me.
    And I had 5 attached ticks last year and 10 the year before
    I gotta figure that either I'm incredibly lucky, or I've built up some kind of immunity
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

And don't forget Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever either when it comes to tick borne illnesses.

I had it years ago and damned near died from it.
    Mainline the blueline

Permethrin treated clothes are great for reducing ticks, but does anyone know if Permethrin treated pants are safe for wet wading?

It must not be very water soluble after drying if it doesn't wash off in the wash machine for so many washes, but still wondering.
    Cindy

Good timing for a reminder. I had the family out for a club/TU river clean up project yesterday and showed my grandsons some neat buck tracks. I should have thought of that right away.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

I pulled the first crawling tick off me on Tuesday and pulled the first embedded tick out of me last night.
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

I've had ticks on me all my life; Mississippi woods are crawling with them. But 2 years ago I detached a Lone Star Tick after visiting a friend's house near mine, and a week later was in the hospital with Ehrlichiosis. I was very sick, and might have died.

Message: There are new diseases out there now, so always wear repellent and always check for ticks asap.

Quote Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
    Permethrin treated clothes are great for reducing ticks, but does anyone know if Permethrin treated pants are safe for wet wading?

It must not be very water soluble after drying if it doesn't wash off in the wash machine for so many washes, but still wondering.
    After three bouts with tick diseases I gave up on my summertime wet wading in shorts routine and bought a couple of pairs of nylon pants. I sprayed the hell out of them with permethrin. I haven't had a tick bite since, and this is going back seven or eight years.

I do touch them up again after a month of hard use renders them so filthy even I can't stand it and they go in the wash.

14. Likes cpiercem liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast