I might be just cluing into an already existing thing but a salmon cannon?

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
So I'm not a Twitter guy, or any other social media jazz for that matter. So I just may be late to the party on this but I almost spit my coffee out of my mouth this morning when my quick scan of current news sites yielded this:

The internet is going crazy over a 'salmon cannon' that shoots fish over a dam - CNN

Have any of you guys heard of this? Especially those located in PNW, have you ever seen one of these things in action while out on a river? Per the video in the middle of the story it seems to function as advertised, cheaper than ladders, not harm the fish, and get them upstream faster to their spawning grounds. What's not to like? Thoughts and reactions welcome.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
My girlfriend just saw it on facebook and asked me about it. I first saw a similar salmon cannon on the internet about two years ago.

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Yeah, my understanding is that the first versions of this came online in 2014. Apparently the early versions required human handling of the fish, i.e. that they had to be fed one at a time into the chute. It seems that since the prototype days current versions of this contraption allow the fish to swim in on their own and be launched over the dam.

el jefe

Reaction score
...and we get all wound up about holding fish out of the water for a few seconds for a picture.:D

Between this and the video of the Utah game and fish guys dropping fish from an airplane, I am forced to conclude that fish just may be more durable than we think.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
...and we get all wound up about holding fish out of the water for a few seconds for a picture.:D

Between this and the video of the Utah game and fish guys dropping fish from an airplane, I am forced to conclude that fish just may be more durable than we think.
LOL, you could be right. I don't know what the casualty rate is with the Salmon Howitzer, or Paratrout operations, but even during the normal migration process salmon take a good beating. They only have to make it to the spawning site and their life is over anyway.