Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  81
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Big Changes at Pure Fishing (Hardy USA)

Quote Originally Posted by corn fed fins View Post
    Maybe I'm off the mark here with my post but times change. Want to talk about heritage, quality, and prestige then I'll just say "Winchester". Just another victim of labor costs and other government regulations. Remington still produces the most accurate mass manufactured action on the market, 700, and Cabela's has always been low end foreign stuff in my book.

I counted beans in my company. You have to if you want to make money and not just trade dollars. No money in the bank means no growth potential. No growth potential and failure is imminent.

So when we cry about a company going out of business/ moving overseas/ selling out /etc., take a look at just what you support and ask yourself did you support that business; and I don't mean did you buy their product.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Remington is not the same company it was just a scant few years ago. Check out their QC today. They have been bought out by a capital firm (Cerberus) that also bought out Bushmaster Firearms several years ago, both Remington and Bushmaster are not the same companies they once were. You can also lump Marlin Firearms in that same group and Remington bought them as well. Just frequent some gun websites and you can find all kinds of QC/QA issues to all of the above.

As for Cabela's, when it was still owned by the family it was a good quality merchandise firm and a no BS warranty. The family then sold it out as it became publicly traded and has since been bought out by Bass Pro. The overall quality of goods and customer service are not at all what it used to be under family ownership.

FWIW
    Mainline the blueline

2. Likes trs, corn fed fins liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    As for Cabela's, when it was still owned by the family it was a good quality merchandise firm and a no BS warranty. The family then sold it out as it became publicly traded and has since been bought out by Bass Pro. The overall quality of goods and customer service are not at all what it used to be under family ownership.

FWIW
    That is kinda surprising to hear, BPS (Johnny Morris), pretty much started out the same way - small time guy who took a shot and won, I'm happy for him, he's done well. I hit a lot of BPS's and have never had any problems, they have always treated me fair. I like Cabela's too. Not a fan of Dick's, they run chicken too easily at the first sign of squealing from the anti-gun crowd, I'd have to be in a bad way to give them people my money; and even then, I'd pay cash so they didn't know it was me. :-)

I've hesitated adding this because it's purely anecdotal but, in the spirit of the forum, I'll pass on my own experiences with Hardy reels this season. As a gillie I often set up and test my guest's gear and I met two distinct issues with newish Hardy reels this season.
    The first was a missing reel foot screw on an Ultralite DD. It had been there last season, the owner said, but had since worked loose and fallen out unseen. I tightened the remaining screw and the guest phoned Hardy's service department for a replacement. That was on a Monday in the far north of Scotland. The screw arrived from N. England on Wednesday, foc.

The second issue couldn't be remedied so easily. I forget the model, sorry. A small part in the spool-locking mechanism had vanished and the spool wouldn't attach securely. A replacement reel was used that week, the broken reel will have to be sent back to the company for repair.

The general comments in the Gillies' Room were to the tune of 'Oh, another one ....' so they are gaining a reputation for unreliability which they've never had before. Quite the contrary, in fact. For scale, we see around 100+ rods and reels set up over the week, over 6 months. Older gentlemen tend to prefer older Hardys and replace with newer while the 50-65 range are as likely to fish a Loop, Danielsson or Lamson reel, though the Marquis and Cascapedias remain popular depending on the depth of pocket. A lot of folk here love the sound of the Marquis' ratchet, some even have it as a ring tone ....

Other reel issues I faced were a squeaky handle (try standing by that all day!) which a drop of oil cured and a dried-out cork drag on an Abel a guest used. Nice reel once it was lubed!
    As I say, purely anecdotal, by no means shocking given the numbers passing through and Hardy's service was excellent. It was the raised eyebrows from my colleagues with caught my attention as much as anything.

5. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Likes ratherfish, trs, unknownflyman liked this post

so I just youtubed a video on the Marquis and the guy was comparing the new against the old - he stated in that video the old was a System 10 (I believe) and it was called a "Scientific Angler". I thought Scientific Angler was a name brand in and of itself, and I thought they were a lower end reel. but then again, I don't really know much, a lot of these name brands I've never heard of before.

Hi, ratherfish.

Hardy made a System 4 for S.A..
    Scientific Angler used to be owned by 3M and were leaders in plasticated lines in their early days. Still make fine lines today, imo. They were bought, along with Ross Reels, by Orvis in 2013.
    The most common S.A. reels I see are the System One and System Two reels, both made by British Fly Reels in the UK until production moved to S. Korea in 2014. The first 'Twos' were unported and still look good, I think. The drag is decent if not exceptional on the 2s and they still get seen in use on my river occasionally.

Edit: Re: The Marquis, maybe there's a confusion with that and Orvis's first CFO reel, made by Hardy's in Alnwick and bearing some similarities to one another?

8. Likes ratherfish liked this post

Here's some good news: Hardy service continues to be fine (so far). I sent a Hardy Zenith (broke it when I fell chasing a fish) in on 9/23, from California to Iowa. It arrived at Pure Fishing on 9/27. That day I was contacted by Hardy customer service who advised that my rod will be covered by warranty (second break in 1 year) in spite of the fact that I told them how it broke. Replacement arrived yesterday 10/2. Can't ask for better service than that!

10. Likes Ard, Lewis Chessman, ratherfish liked this post

I did hear that Fenwick has a bunch of new offerings this year including a rod with Nano resin technology and they are doing a Streamflex series (in the states). The Greys Streamflex were great value rods, the 9-5 was basically the same taper as the Zenith with a lower tech blank, and the Nymph rods were arguably better than the Hardys. They also showed a really nice looking large arbor reel.I Always thought the Fenwick transition (from Grey's) was one of the biggest disasters from the Pure purchase in both marketing and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    Hi, ratherfish.

Hardy made a System 4 for S.A..
    Scientific Angler used to be owned by 3M and were leaders in plasticated lines in their early days. Still make fine lines today, imo. They were bought, along with Ross Reels, by Orvis in 2013.
    The most common S.A. reels I see are the System One and System Two reels, both made by British Fly Reels in the UK until production moved to S. Korea in 2014. The first 'Twos' were unported and still look good, I think. The drag is decent if not exceptional on the 2s and they still get seen in use on my river occasionally.

Edit: Re: The Marquis, maybe there's a confusion with that and Orvis's first CFO reel, made by Hardy's in Alnwick and bearing some similarities to one another?
    The first System reels (SA) were Hardy Marquis with different badges made in Alnwick. The were numbered with the line size so a system 4 was a 4 weight reel. They actually marketed matching fiberglass fly rods. At one point the three best selling premium fly reels were all made in Alnwick, by Hardy. The Hardy Marquis, SA System, and Orvis CFO. SA later introduced a System 2 which were made for a bit by British Fly Reels, they were cast reels, fairly heavy duty, and they were one of the first mid priced reels with a decent drag. They were favorites of the GL Steelhead/Salmon fisherman. The later System reels were a mixed bag, they tried to do a higher end System that was machined, but it didn't compete at the higher price points well with the Ross and Bauers of the era.

13. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post
    Likes ratherfish liked this post

Pure FishingBig Changes at Pure Fishing (Hardy USA) Names Jim Murphy in New Role as Director of Fly Fishing

Columbia, S.C. October 11, 2019 – Pure FishingBig Changes at Pure Fishing (Hardy USA) named Jim Murphy the Director of Fly Fishing this week. With 30-plus years of experience, Murphy will be taking over Global Product Development, Global Marketing and North American Sales. The newly created role is expected to increase sales and production of Fly Fishing rods and reels within the Pure Fishing fly fishing brands, Hardy, Greys, Fenwick and Pflueger.

Jim Murphy is no stranger to the fishing community. He has previously lead the Hardy North America team, is a former Vice President of Sales for R.L. Winston Rod Company, and is the founder of Redington.

“I’m taking this role as a tremendous opportunity for not only myself, but for all of the brands within the new Pure Fishing,” said Murphy. “I call it the new Pure Fishing because of the positive changes they’ve been making as of late in reconfiguring the company and I’m thrilled to be a part of the team they’ve worked hard to create.”

The intent behind creating this new role within the company is to expand the footprint of Hardy, Fenwick and Pflueger in fly fishing and bring the brands back to the forefront of the industry.

“I can’t think of anyone better suited to fill this role within the company,” said Jon Schlosser, Vice President of Marketing at Pure Fishing. “Jim brings a very strong development background that fits well with our agenda for driving innovation and technology into industry leading products.”

With over 25 years of experience in leadership roles, Murphy is expected to not only grow sales and distribution, but increase overall competency within Pure Fishing as it relates to Fly Fishing

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

15. Thanks trout trekker, redietz, trs thanked for this post

Murphy's appointment within Pure brings him full circle. As the former head of Hardy North America he knows the design team in Alnwick well and has worked with the S. Korean fabricator of rods and reels even before his time with Hardy. Murphy was largely responsible for the development of the Zenith and now we can anticipate more design/technology advancement is the near future.

Perhaps this will be the best possible outcome for those of us who have enjoyed both classic and innovative-performance oriented Hardy products. Gone may be the elite individualizem of old Hardy Brothers as Hardy has and will likely continue to be a corporate component but also now the resources should be available that proved elusive for the independently owned old company.

Congratulations, Jim.

17. Likes mike_r, okaloosa, fly2field liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast