Fly Fisherman in Japan Earthquake

neversink

Reaction score
Hi All,

It's day 3 since big earth quake hit the entire Eastern region of Japan.
It hit the northern regions, trout land, the hardest.
Pacific states of Iwate, Miyagi, and Fukushima are hit hard and
90% of casualties are coming in that area while earthquake killed
people in other regions nearby Tokyo as well.

I was having meeting in conference room in the first floor then
saw my office building dancing twist and shout. Took me 4 hours to
get back home with my family after leading small band on foot, because
all transportation and communication stopped.

It took me another day to reunite with my mom who got stack on the
other side of heaviest traffic of all time and we successfully contacted my
relatives living in northern region. We are all OK and consider ourselves lucky.

Now I'm doing my part to help rescue & recovery at least a tiny bit.
By doing so, I ask your to do us a favor.

DO NOT follow CNN who is pissing everyone off by sitting on top of
things speculating and causing little panic within English speaking community
in Japan. Especially so covering nuclear power plant case with old information and food supply in Tokyo with absolutely no facts. If you know someone in the station, please let them know that they need sensible approach or they will loose their credibility in this.

Please follow credible sources who actually send their people in
disaster area:

NHK Worldwide
NHK WORLD English

Stars & Stripes (US troops allowing AP press to go with them)Stripes - Independent U.S. military news from Iraq, Afghanistan and bases worldwide

driftaway

Reaction score
Glad you are Ok. CNN lost credibility with me awhile ago when they started to be a mouth piece for a political party here in the US. Same went for the other "news" station that is the mouth piece for the other party. I want real accurate news but unfortunately that is hard to find

neversink

Reaction score
Please follow credible source. Your troops bring Associated Press. NHK broadcasts with much openess.

50K Japanese troops, 2,500 policemen, 1,100 fire & rescue squads, 200 medical teams, and supply comboys are all arranged to save the distaster area. That combined with American troops and international teams saved 12,000 lives so far.

Please praise and support your troops for already doing good job.

American Seventh Fleet and team of nuclear scientists are here to help us
maintain Fukushima nuclear power plant issues. Plants is operated under
leading nuclear contractors who built it to the toughest standard possible
in the late 1960's. Reactors are covered with die-hard 2 layer metal shell that
stayed intact even after the concrete surrounding was blown off earlier (the
footage you may have seen). It's tough to the extereme sense and handled by top caring experts.

240km away and having high altitude mountains and wind not blowing southward at all time in between, we are safe in Tokyo. Radiation issue is still within the 10km radius of the plant. No spread of radioactive mateiral yet reported even by the closest monitor post north of the plant.

Media are asked to keep away from the plant for good enough reasons. Safety and Security of nation.

Helicopters hovering on top of survivors without helping them are annoyment to resuce and survivors. Since no shipment can be delivered from sea or ground, air is the only way to carry people or supply in and out. Can't over
populate the sky.

Eariler, air bases with broken F16 were made public and broadcasted, so
we had to publicize this air bases are not operational. That is a security breech when Russia has strong territorial ambition near this area.

Russia attempted to "help" with their experts to our nuclear plant with only one thing in mind. Learn the damage and take case study home. We kindly do not reply to that when we already have trusting American friends.

So please understand that there is good reason why priorities are set the way it is. Please follow credible source for we want to save more lives than spreading wrong information that cause panic.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
:)Good to hear from you, we were hoping you and your family were ok. Wishing you and all your fellow countrymen the best. Be safe out there.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Trust me, I never watch CNN (the Comunist News Network). Glad to hear the Navy is there helping. Our Navy has a lot of real good guys trained in nuclear reactors. I have been listening to the news and most of what I'm hearing about the reactors there is nonsense. And it's not just CNN guilty of that one. Good luck and stay safe.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I feel the same as Diver Dan I never watch CNN!

NeversinK: Thanks for posting, I'm sure this forum is low on your priorities right now but a lot of us were worried about you and your family! Good to hear you guys are doing ok!

Larry

Pocono

Reaction score
Hideto-san,

It's good to know that you and your family are safe and sound!

It will take some time for your country to rebuild itself after this quake, but it's good to know that so many people are helping with the recovery and with the protection of the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

Was Shalom's Forest in the area where the quake hit in the North? I hope not, becuase some of those dams were very old!

Take care and stay in touch with all of us! And, as several have already said, if there's anything that you need, then just let us know.

Best,

Allan

neversink

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Now it's Day 5 and international community in Tokyo has calmed down a lot.
Nuclear power plant trouble have done more damage in psychology than in physical reality. There have been rumors of "get out of Japan now" spread from French embassy and from guys paniced after watching CNN's coverage ealier. We formed small groups to bust the myth and those who have participated meant great help to keep nation's capital sane.

Japan is always 0.07% of Earth's land mass with 15% of her volcanos.
Japan doesn't have much natural resource and nuclear power is the only
effective solution now (hope there is something better).
So, we've lived with these things all this time. We need little time and hard working people to remedy the situation so that we can get on quick recovery and growth which we are really good at.

Some investors have ditched us, but they are missing the bigger picture.
Construction stocks are top selling and this disaster did not effect the core industrial capacity at all.

US Operation "Tomodachi" (means friendship) is making great success.
US troops are already helping so much on logistics and rescue operation.
My deepest respect go to them, their family, and American tax payers who support them. Again, thank you very much!

BTW, Tsunami hit some of very good salmon/trout/chart waters in Tohoku.
Let's hope we'll be able to go back there in joy soon.
That we should be worried about:)

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Many thanks for the 'thumb's up.' I've read too many stories where 'Murika' was pasted up as the Bad Boy. "The ugly American," if you remember the book.

American generosity has always been the first to 'get up, suit up, and show up.' For which we get darned little credit.

"You call, we haul."

Minor rant over.
fae

neversink

Reaction score
For better understading of geography of heavy disaster area in North East Japan (or Tohoku region).
Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant is located about 240km north east of Tokyo with 2 states and mountaints in between.
*Number of casualties are out dated. There will be sum of more than 20,000 as police said earlier.

US air base of Misawa is located bit north of Hachinohe (furtherst mark on map on north).

neversink

Reaction score
Measurement for radiation exposure measured by SV (Sievert):

1 SV = 1,000 mili SV = 1,000,000 micro SV

A) It takes 1 SV to cause 5% fatility.
B) 0.1 or 100 mili SV is the allowence for 1 working session of nuclear powerplant workers.
C) Round trip between Tokyo and New York will give you 200 micro SV exposure.
D) Average person is exposed to 2,400 micro SV in one year.
E) CT Scan is 6,900 micro SV

Last night, reading at Tokyo was 0.1 micro SV and at Tochigi, state next of Fukushima, was 0.5 micro SV.

Current status in region near Tokyo is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about.
NRC has announced the same about US Pacific coast.

Please tell investors to do the math before they chiken out.
Wall street businessman on regular trips on flight is more exposed to radiation than me fly fishing in mountans of Fukushima:shades:

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I heard today radiation levels were 8 times more than you should get in 1 year and that more explosions and fires are happening at the daiichi plant reactor number 4.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Measurement for radiation exposure measured by SV (Sievert):

1 SV = 1,000 mili SV = 1,000,000 micro SV

A) It takes 1 SV to cause 5% fatility.
B) 0.1 or 100 mili SV is the allowence for 1 working session of nuclear powerplant workers.
C) Round trip between Tokyo and New York will give you 200 micro SV exposure.
D) Average person is exposed to 2,400 micro SV in one year.
E) CT Scan is 6,900 micro SV

Last night, reading at Tokyo was 0.1 micro SV and at Tochigi, state next of Fukushima, was 0.5 micro SV.

Current status in region near Tokyo is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about.
NRC has announced the same about US Pacific coast.

Please tell investors to do the math before they chiken out.
Wall street businessman on regular trips on flight is more exposed to radiation than me fly fishing in mountans of Fukushima:shades:
Thank you for posting that. There are news people here, and I use the term in the loosest sense of the word attempting to make it sound like the world will come to an end from radiation. The policy with some of them is to "never let a good crisis go to waste". Most of what they are saying about the reactors is not only wrong but not possible from a technical standpoint. Like the fallout nonsense. It's getting to the point where it's making me to mad to watch it.

I'm glad to hear you are OK. As an American I am embarrased by our stupid dishonest press, starting with CNN. It's a shame that you have to take time to correct them and set the story straight.

Take care and good luck.

neversink

Reaction score
Thanks again guys for staying with us.
(It's still shaking as I type this, which we sort of got used to:)

There are great amount of criticism and pessimism. From NY Times telling GE's design was too risky to CNN or French government emphasizing "danger" or "get out" message. As a matter of fact, 2 of my American friends left main island. When it's not your own country, I respect their decision for precautionally evacuation.

But I'd like the world to focus on the most important thing.
There are heroes formed from elite US Navy to nearly retired nuclear power worker (not Homer Simpson) fighting hard to save Japan.
Together, they saved 27,000 survivors and they are working even harder
saving the nation of this planet.

In the North where things are pretty bad, there are children lost their parents. Parents lost their children. Wives lost thier husbands. But they are still strong holding on each other when food is short, bed is cold, and news are bad.

They need help. We need heroes. Heroes need us.

neversink

Reaction score
1. Operation Tomodachi Update

2 x C-130, presumably full of US Marines, successfully landed hard on devastated Sendai Airport:) Marines will clear off debris and establish strong supply outpost there.

Yamagata Airport, other side of Tohoku unharmed, is now open for shared operation for US and Japanese troops. Another group of Marines are coming from Okinawa to establish even stronger supply chain.

US Seventh Fleet, with flagship Ronald Reagan, continues supporting helicopter operations for rescue and supply operations.

2. Inland Comboy Route Update

2 highways reaching disaster areas in the north are now open for comboys with pass from local legislature. This now opens route to send 2nd wave supply such as education material, computers, or any relief goods.

Not enough operatives present on the disaster area, so government has sent secretary of volunteer works first to help establish outposts.