Havana good time - fly fishing Cuba

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

It is great that you and your dad got to share this adventure. Looks like a wonderful trip and not as crowded as some other Bone locations. I sure can appreciate having a nice floating hotel to come back to at the end of the day. Are we going to see more pictures?

Frank

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul: That was a great trip report of the Jardines de la Reina chain flats fishing and the floating hotel looks like a fine place for a fishing stay, thanks for sharing!

Larry

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I will try and get some more photos up in due course. Just finished converting them all last night but still have some tidying to do.

captwayne1

Reaction score
What a great trip that must have been! I'm traveling to Havana in April for an Educational/Cultural tour and would love to do some fly fishing. Are there any local guides or outfitters that might accommodate me for one day of fishing?

Thanks,

Wayne

ditz

Reaction score
I am sorry that I have not read your article. As much as I would love to head for some great inshore FF I will keep my money in the States and would much prefer to see others to do the same.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I will try and get some more photos up in due course. Just finished converting them all last night but still have some tidying to do.

Paul, great article and thanks for sharing. If possible would love to see some close-ups of the three flies that did most of the catching.

Dave

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Not sure I have a larger close up I can share right now but will have a look at home.

What I can tell you is that the tarpon fly is a chartreuse toad fly variant and the permit fly is the famous Avalon fly. Right this second the exact bonefish pattern escapes me - sorry.

Paul

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Capt. Wayne. :welcomean

I think it's still illegal to go to Cuba from here. I think I'd just do the Keys instead. Keep our money here. I would like to see the photos though.
Dan: I'm pretty sure you are correct about traveling to Cuba, maybe someday we will normalize relations with that country and travel will open back up.

Larry

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Welcome to the forum Capt. Wayne. :welcomean

I think it's still illegal to go to Cuba from here. I think I'd just do the Keys instead. Keep our money here. I would like to see the photos though.
That's my memory too. I know some folks will fly to Mexico and then on to Cuba. You just don't want your Pass Port stamped when you get there .......