Rafters Vs. Fisherman

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very interesting article.It's becoming a real problem everywhere ... most people who practice rafting and canoeing don't care about fishermen they can be dangerous.Most of them use a raft or a canoe for the first time in their life,they behave like mad on the water,shouting,often being unpleasant or mocking...sometimes rude.Last year I had my fishing ruined twice by canoes and as you may imagine I was really angry.The people who own a canoe or raft business use the river to make money with it but don't do anything for it.:mad:

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Very interesting article.It's becoming a real problem everywhere ... most people who practice rafting and canoeing don't care about fishermen they can be dangerous.Most of them use a raft or a canoe for the first time in their life,they behave like mad on the water,shouting,often being unpleasant or mocking...sometimes rude.Last year I had my fishing ruined twice by canoes and as you may imagine I was really angry.The people who own a canoe or raft business use the river to make money with it but don't do anything for it.:mad:
I think on some rivers and streams there are some hours of the day for canoes and some for fishermen....here in France.I'll have to check that.

Davo

Reaction score
I make part of my living floating public and private water in a drift boat. There will always be opposition between land owners and water users where private property is concerned. I myself act professionally and courteously on the water toward everybody. We live in a world of limited resources. Learn to share or be miserable. If the rafters in the article don't wise up and learn to get along they will ultimately lose there resource. They need to work with the land owner on an acceptable compromise. One I can think of is to get access to launch their rafts from the lower end of his property so as not to float through his fishing water and upsetting his clients in an attempt to satisfy their own.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Like most other matters of conflicting interests a little education would go a long way. Tossing in a bit of diplomacy always helps also.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Interesting article, People need to step back and look at both sides of this issue. I believe the companies offering the raft trips probably have a fairly hefty user fee assessed on them by the state and or the feds, if not they should. Here in MI the liveries have to have a state license and if their activity takes place on waters within the National Forest system they pay a fee for that also.

Here they are also limited to set times they can put people on the water; something like 9:00 AM til 2:00 PM, this does alleviate some of the problems. I've been on the river in May when fishing is best in the afternoon, and gone through the continual "hows the fishing?" or some variation of it. Annoying, yes; but if it's a warm day you see lots of eye candy, which isn't too bad...:D

One interesting little point I did note, the ranch owner offers raft trips to his guests; just not on the section of river he owns property on. That is just a tad hypocritical to me...

My $0.02 worth,

Dan

FrankB2

Reaction score
Sounds like the landowners vs. public in Utah*:

The Colorado Supreme Court has issued two seminal rulings on the subject. In the early 1900s, it ruled that fishermen couldn't wade into rivers on private land to catch trout, even rivers stocked with fish by the state. Justices reiterated that stance in 1979, ruling that a rafter who touched his feet to the riverbank on privately owned land could be charged with criminal trespass. That might seem to put floating off limits.

Makes you begin to wonder if the Utah landowners have a legitimate gripe. I'm
not saying the legislation is fair, but there are two or more sides to any argument. I agree with Ard that a bit of education and diplomacy could help
the issue in both states.

*I should not that the Utah Supreme Court sided with the public.

Reactions: Ard

flytyer_neal

Reaction score
I happen to have some friends with private land on the Colorado, and roaring fork that I can fish...but there are rivers like the eagle....where finding a place to get to the water is tough, and what lil water you can get to is very overly fished. I have met some rafters that were disrespectful ( let his dogs jump out right where I was casting, then proceed to beach right next to me when there was 2 miles of shoreline ) but for the most part they are great guys, including their passengers. I'm not sure if I'm right but I think I remember my mom saying something like 20' above the water line was able to be walked if you were following the stream or river, this was in Calif. I might be wrong. anyway, as a respectful angler I think we should get some slack....at least more public access

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I make part of my living floating public and private water in a drift boat. There will always be opposition between land owners and water users where private property is concerned. I myself act professionally and courteously on the water toward everybody. We live in a world of limited resources. Learn to share or be miserable. If the rafters in the article don't wise up and learn to get along they will ultimately lose there resource. They need to work with the land owner on an acceptable compromise. One I can think of is to get access to launch their rafts from the lower end of his property so as not to float through his fishing water and upsetting his clients in an attempt to satisfy their own.
Davo: Well said, I couldn't agree more! If the rafting companies don't learn to respect other users of the resource they will ultimately be locked out. We saw it happen in UT just a few days ago.

Larry

bigcabindana

Reaction score
While I don't canoe rivers with the exception of a very wide and flat section of the Snake here in Idaho, I do fly fish from a canoe and love it. I do however see the occasional white water canoeist manuvering without regard to guys and gals fishing riffles and pocket water. Same thing with Kayaks but they seem to be more mindful of fisherman.
I think more experienced and seasoned paddlers are ususally more considerate and skilled enough to controll their craft so as to not interfere with a fly fisherman. I, myself have encountered rafters on the Truckee in California and simply stripped my line in and waved hello as they drifted past. Mind you they had guides with them but I didn't think it was a big thing to let them pass.
If you have a fish on and a raft or a canoe comes around an upstream bend from you, tailing out of white, fast water, I don't know what the etiquette is but I know that it is a recipe for hard feelings although both the angler and the boater did not plan, want nor could they prevent a problem at least some of the time.

yatahey

Reaction score
Unfortunately, as ofter happens in situations where conflict is the reasoning for the media to "report" on the issue, the WSJ journalist has taken over the top license in interpreting the facts.
As a result of the poor and inaccurate report the WSJ will be printing a retraction on this story.
If this story interests you, you can read more about the issue here.
Row vs Wade

Lambster

Reaction score
Now this is a topic I can talk about! Cherokee NC. has a 2.2 mile stretch of river that is pure Trophy fishing area which holds 5 species of trout, this med. sized river has alot of medium fast water which draws yakers and alot of tubers! We ran into a bunch of these tubers which came by use splashing and yelling not even watching where their going......now that pretty well ticked me off:mad: on these waters the tubers don't pay for the Trophy fee like the flyfishers which have to pay $20.... now I felt if we have to pay to use the 2.2 mile stretch that the tubers would have to go!!!! I had push for years to get this trophy zone put in so I made a call to the Cherokee fisheries to voice our problem with the tubers and the next week I got a e-mail telling me that the tubers were no longer alould to float the trophy section!:D This trophy section is one of the best in NC.! If you don't voice your opion you won't get heard! I'm very verbal about stuff like this but do it in the right way...............