How To Build Your Own Fly Boxes

sandfly

Reaction score
I bought tha cases with the boxes so I have all my flats flies in one case, all my bass ones in a case, and all my NE. saltwater flies in another. works great.

fire instructor

Reaction score
Nice idea!!!! While I'm learning new patterns, I'm tying 5+ of everything, and many in multiple colors. I've got 3 medium sized watertight fly boxes that fit nicely in my vest, plus a very small one that came on my lanyard for when I leave the vest in the vehicle. I've been looking for an economical storage solution, and I think that I just found it!!!

mojo

Reaction score
I made something similar to this last fall, though the cutting of the foam i used was not so precise. Still, turned out pretty well i think.
Where'd you get the box from? Looks like a Cliff's box (hell of a lot cheaper I'll bet).

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I got a box very much like that from the one and only thrift store we have up here. I was originaly a Kinex box. Not sure what that is. It is big and deep however. A perfect big fly box. Cost me all of $0.50 for the box and about the same for the foam. By the way, a member sent me a few flies, one them is so dang big it will not fit in the box. They have a center spine of kinky fiber covered in Softex, covered with stuff like Superhair. By the way, Thanks Mark. I am going to get a Big Pike on it this Spring if it kills me, on the biggest one ( about 13 1/2 inches of Fire Tiger colors less the bars). It's light enough despite the length, I know I can cast the heck out of it with my spey rods.

You know, I almost hate to say it, but I could actually see where I could end up never picking up a single hand rod again. I am going to have to make a concsious effert to see that it never happens. It kind of already did. I went for pretty much a whole year where I never cast a single hand rod. When I did start casting them again, I had somehow induced a couple of not good glitches in my casting. My Canadian friend I taught just a couple of years ago caught the things I was doing and helped straighten me out. I flashed on Darth Vader saying to Obiwan, " was once the student, but now I am the Master." Funny how things like that go.

Reaction score
Where'd you get the box from? Looks like a Cliff's box (hell of a lot cheaper I'll bet).
Got the box from Art Store, its called an ArtBin i believe. Same size as Cliffs Beast!
Lining is a 1/2" childrens floor tile cut (Roughly) to fit. The box is narrower are the opening that where it is glued to the base so it was difficult to cut to fit. Still it does the job. I stuck it in with 3M super77. All told, i think the box inlcuding foam and glue came to about $20.
I also bought a smaller box of the same name for my vest. It is still awating completion.

BigCliff

Reaction score
That's a very nice box on the link, though I'd look hard for one that's just a rectangle, to save the fuss of cutting those insets on the sides.

I made a waterproof BIG fly box a while back, from a Plano container-

mojo

Reaction score
I like that idea too! Altoid boxes and Pinking shears. Haven't seen those since my grandma passed away.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

That's a very nice box on the link, though I'd look hard for one that's just a rectangle, to save the fuss of cutting those insets on the sides.

I made a waterproof BIG fly box a while back, from a Plano container-

Cliff, that's another good box. Here's what I got for the tin boat. Plano also. Not sure if it's the same size as yours.

The box is 14" x 14"
I use my Cliff's Bugger Barn for the kickboat. Like the idea of the handle for that application.

fire instructor

Reaction score
This was one of my many projects this weekend. I found a clear plastic box with a snap latch and carry handle at Michael's (arts & crafts shop) which is designed for both scrapbookers and for photo collectors. It contains 16 neatly stacked small plastic boxes, all approxiametly 6.5" x 4.5" x 1.25". Michaels had the box as part of a 50% off sale, so I got it for less than $20.

Copying the original iea in this thread, I also purchased several sheetis of 1/4" foam, which I cut to tightly fit in the bottom of each fly box. I cut slits in the foam, 3/8" apart to hold fly hooks.

So for less than $25 I now have a storage box system that will hold more flies than I'll be able to tie in a year!

Thank you for the great idea, Randyflycaster!

JoJer

Reaction score
Most of my large "overflow" boxes are homemade. I find cheap, suitable boxes in the dollar store or wal-mart in the school supplies as pencil boxes and line them with packing foam.

flymark

Reaction score
I did something similar for a boat box myself. I used a slit-foam insert I picked up on close-out from our local Wholesale Sports store, the box and magnetic sheet came from Michael's craft store. I have less than $12 into the box.