Of & game 'gaff' vis a vis the fly only water on the north umpqua!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Several States require you purchase a Steelhead/Salmon "punch card" to fish/retain same. Anyway, picked up my 2013's today (my first go getting one at the Very Seasoned Citizen rate) and with the punch card you're handed out a 'How to fill out same.'

Good idea and you have to do same ASAP if you retain a fish. Reading the back of this and did a DEAR GOD! SAY IT ISN'T SOOOOO! The example stream was the fly only section of the North Umpqua. And the info (a major gaff) said you could retain a 'Native Fish!!'

Immediately pull up the Reg's on line and two references to "NO YOU CAN'T!" I know they have to print the game regs months before distribution so check Region Update .... Nope (thank God!)

ASAP to Salem talking to 'Nice Lady' at OF&G and described what I was reading, what I'd read, and is there something I don't know about ..... ?

"Can you hold a second while I get one?"

'Sure,' and she's back on the phone a minute later ... 'Let me read through this .....'

Last words I expected to hear: "Oh Shxt, that's WRONG.":eek:

Guy who does the fish checks on the NU is not noted for his sense of humor; can you imagine how this would go in Court?

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
What a mess! that's a major major "OOPS"!
How do you think they are going to do to prevent wild steelhead from being harvested?
I wonder how many licenses they've already sold.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Thousands Carl, thousands.

How many of those folks will fish the NU fly only waters and screw up? Several possible (as I see it) 'options.' The simplest is a on line Regulation update admitting a printing error. Oregon F and G change the ongoing Reg's over the course of a year and it's your 'problem' to "keep up."

A 'I didn't know' will never hold up in Court.:eek:

fae