Alaskans to D.C.: Stop Pebble Mine From Destroying 14,000 American Jobs

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Source: Trout Unlimited

Alaskans representing the voices of local residents, commercial fishermen, sportsmen, Alaska Natives, and business owners have descended on Washington this week to push for action on the stalled EPA process to protect Bristol Bay, Alaska’s sockeye salmon fishery and save 14,000 American jobs. The Pebble Mine, proposed by from a foreign mining conglomerate, will generate up to 10 billion tons of toxic waste at the headwaters of one of America’s most productive fisheries.

“After a year of delay, the 14,000 Americans whose jobs and livelihoods depend on Bristol Bay deserve to be heard,” said Tim Bristol, Director of Trout Unlimited’s Alaska Program. “The Environmental Protection Agency and the Obama Administration have studied this issue long enough, and it’s time to finally start a process that stops the Pebble Mine from becoming an Exxon Valdez on land. With unprecedented support from a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers, businesses and nearly 60% of Alaskans, the time to protect Bristol Bay and save American jobs is now.”

Anglo American, a foreign mining company of luxury metals with a record as one of the world’s biggest polluters, forms half of the Pebble Limited Partnership, which has said it plans to file a permit application for the mine this year. Its partner, Northern Dynasty, filed detailed plans with the SEC to build North America’s largest open-pit mine and the world’s largest earthen dam in Bristol Bay, Alaska, home to America’s most productive salmon streams.

An independent, scientific assessment has concluded that a mine similar to Pebble could discharge more than 10 billion tons of toxic waste in our water, destroying a $1.5 billion fishing industry that employs 14,000 Americans nationwide. Already, the threat of the toxic mine has led to widespread economic uncertainty and suppressed job-creating investments in the commercial fishing industry.

The EPA has the authority under the Clean Water Act to stop this mine, but only if it releases a revised watershed assessment and begins a long overdue comment period that will allow ordinary Americans to make their voices heard. The original draft watershed assessment was released nearly a year ago, yet the process has dragged into another year and another fishing season. Alaskans are now demanding action.

Unlike similar issues before the White House, the effort to save Bristol Bay commands broad support from Republican and Democratic lawmakers, 900 hunting and fishing groups, 26,000 retail food stores, 225 chefs and restaurant owners, and 22 jewelers like Tiffany and Co. that would actually benefit from the mine. Nearly 60% of Alaskans and 80% of Bristol Bay residents oppose the construction of Pebble Mine, particularly Alaska Natives who fear the destruction of their 8,000 year-old culture.

This week, the Save Bristol Bay Coalition will meet with officials from the EPA, Congress, and the White House to push for long-awaited action, and launch an ad campaign to tell Washington that it’s time to listen to the thousands of Americans whose jobs and livelihoods depend on the protection of Bristol Bay.

The ad urges the Administration to release the facts about the Pebble Mine and links to a take action page. It will run on Politico’s homepage today.
Commercial fishermen, sportsmen, and Alaska Natives who are in Washington this week are available for additional comment about the need to protect Bristol Bay from the job-destroying Pebble Mine.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This area is not heavily populated but they did have a vote. The outcome would have been enough to settle a presidential election but this is about mining and although the balloting was taken into consideration, the State Legislature is still debating whether to move ahead with this.

This is from Ktuu News:

[Copy]

Battle Over Pebble Mine Heats Up

by Jackie Bartz | October 18, 2011

One day after the votes were tallied for an initiative aimed at blocking the proposed Pebble Mine in Southwest Alaska, both sides are saying they are pleased with the outcome. The "Save our Salmon" initiative passed by a 34 vote margin, 280 to 246, according to Lake and Peninsula Borough unofficial election results. "I think its a real victory for the people of the affected region of Bristol bay," Art Hackney a spokesperson for Alaskans for Bristol Bay, an anti-pebble organization, said.

[End Copy]

I've never been to Bristol Bay but I no more welcome the Pebble Mine project there than I would if it were near the cabin. I fully understand the need for raw materials in this world but also believe that we simply can't tear up the entire planet because of that need. There is only one place like this on earth and it's Bristol Bay Alaska. If there were 60 or 70 places just like this I would say "why not" but there aren't 60 or 70.

I hope to go there one day and when I do it may be one of the only good fishing grounds left here for salmon. Our rivers and their salmon stocks are in trouble at this time. I don't mean they may be in trouble in the future, I mean now. No one seems to have answers as to why our king and silver salmon are disappearing but they are, and are doing so at an exponential rate.

Whatever the motive behind TU taking a position on this everyone is allowed to take one. I don't see a reason not to be very careful when risking the last great salmon stocks on the planet vs. a gold & copper mine is the issue being discussed.

I'm sorry but I don't mine. I fish and I'll probably do it until I die. If you give me a choice between the two I'm voting for the fish every time.

Last edited:
L

Liphookedau

Same Old Story we hear it all The Time where The Developers say everything is "Biased" against them.
All they seem to care about is lining their own Pockets with no respect for The Enviroment ,Damage to The Fisheries,Job Losses which would lead to The Closure of Many Lodges & Bussinesses,A very Sad Day.
We have just seen over here where certain Politicians have made 100s of millions of Dollars from Deals Done.
Brian.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
It seems there was no actual report and the EPA made a preliminary report that has been described as nonscientific, rushed, biased and innaccurate.

I think it would be best to allow the actual impact report to take place before we allow politics to to overrule reallity. When politics is allowed to own the narrative with out true facts you end up with more insane nonsense like the Polar Bear tripe.

Let them actually do the impact study and I mean the real one, then get your panties in a bunch.

caseywise

Reaction score
the bristol bay watershed is the biggest sockeye salmon spawning area in the world.
any kind of intrusion from the side effects of mining would be detrimental to say the least:mad:
i have countless friends who make their living fishing sockeye in bristol bay or/and working in lodges.
needless to say they are scared of what is going to happen.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

casey

Jackster

Reaction score
They may be scared but it's not because of a single real study. It's because of attacks from people who I trust about as far as I can toss them.

Let them do the study and then put up the big graphics.
Dan, when you see the study and if it doesn't agree with what could easily appear a preconceived notion will you go with it or cry foul?
Heres a study:
Bristol Bay | US EPA

"Bristol Bay produces roughly half of the world’s wild sockeye salmon, valued at nearly $500 million a year, and supports more than 14,000 fisheries and processing jobs including some in Washington. Bristol Bay also supports a big recreational fishery and supports a multi-million-dollar subsistence harvest."
Investigate Bristol Bay mine developer, Cantwell tells SEC | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News - seattlepi.com
The jobs mentioned above aren't make believe nor are they part time jobs that would expire if or when the mine plays out. What would play out are the very real jobs and monies AND pleasure that Bristol Bay as it stands today unscathed brings to us now and in the future.

On a whole 'nuther note... Why is it no American companies try to expoit our land as the Canadians do? Bristol Bay and the Keystone pipeline mess are projects from companies in Canada. My guess is that American companies either know better than to try or they no longer of want to work hard to earn money. Maybe Canadians see us as pushovers as long as they dangle a few bucks in our face.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last thing I am going to say, the EPA report is not the environmental impact report. The actual impact report has not been done yet.

The EPA is also the one that claimed the Polar Bear was going extinct based on ZERO actual evidence, because evidence points to them becoming a serious pest problem at the rate their population is increasing. These are the same people that claimed a mine here could, and the always parse it with could, polute the BWCA, despite it not even being in the same watershed. If it did, you have have to load the pilings up in truck and then from a nearer point hand carry it in because there are no roads. So my opinion of their reports are based on the abundance of politics driven BS that has come out of them.

I only said, wait for the real report before getting your panties in a bunch. A report from someone who does not have an overriding political agenda. Right now there is no report. Not a real impact report. (Yes I realize that's completely unreasonable.. It's everyones right to jump to conclusions based on politics not facts.)

As for the pipeline, yah let's not do it in safest manner. Let's load it on trucks and trains and drag it down here. They never have accidents. Because it's coming here or China. We don't need jobs or safe energy transportation. The heck those union jobs. Yah, let's do it your way. Let's keep mowing down rainforests for biodeisel farms. That's a good idea. No Salmon there.

Fysh's link below proves my point. If that had been the actual impact report, the mine would have been shot down right there on the spot. The fact they are comments, which I will be adding to, proves there has been no impact report. So thank you fysh, once again you came through for me. So in my best Mr. Rogers voice, cay you all say preliminary permitting process?

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
I understand the anxiety of the locals and would be right there with them, what saddens me the most is the rightful distrust of our government. Dan I respect and believe you to be correct about the independent study and those whom live in the area to be affected are probably correct also. I think the more important questions to be answered are who are the politicians involved and will they volunteer 10 years prison time if we find any evidence of profiteering from this boondoggle!!!

And comments about the pipeline, some where somehow we lost the american spirit that MADE this country. I didn't see anyone saying "yes we can build this and it will be designed to be the safest pipeline ever constructed, even better than the Alaska/Canada line". All we got was "NO" which translates to "we're not smart enough"

Dave

Jackster

Reaction score
I'd like to urge everyone to use this link and tell the EPA to strike down the efforts to make this "disaster in the making" from ever being moved forward on.
Done.

Here's what many who now live in and around and make a living from Bristol Bay feel about about the proposed mine. Included are a few facts about the vast size of the mine and the environmental and human safety track records of some of the key players in this idea:
Commercial Fishermen For Bristol Bay | A National Voice For Bristol Bay, Alaska Fishing Jobs
are these not real, sustainable jobs that existed in the past, are being done right now and if things are left unscathed will be there in the future?
Knowing that these are jobs that are there already is the risk really worth it and why?

Despite the red herrings being tossed in to take us off point, this seems like a stupid idea on its own even without the possibilities of disaster to one of the greatest fisheries in the world and the jobs and livlihoods that go along with that grand, naturally renewable resource.
If anyone thinks the best we can possibly do is continue using inefficient 100 year old gasoline engine technology that relies on burning decomposed flora a fauna from the Jurassic period 175 million years ago then that is one sorry state of affairs. I expect this mindset from cave dwellers in places far away and far removed from the modern world.
I'm sure the oil companies and the oil producers from the middle east appreciate it though.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The important thing here is to stay on topic, the mine is the real and present danger over there, not the Keystone pipeline - polar bears, or anything else.

Regardless of mistrust of 'government' we in America do have an Environmental Protection Agency as a branch of the government of the United States. Just the very title of the agency is comforting to some citizens. It is good for some to know that should they find a case of illegal dumping of toxins, that there is a government agency task for these issues. Imagine if your only course of action were to call 911 and rely on a local police officer to respond to a major incident.

I'm sure there have been circumstances where it can be pointed out that the EPA has been wrong headed on a situation but on a whole I believe it and the people staffing it put us as Americans way ahead of many other countries. The current rising global industrial juggernaut of China is already reaping what they have sewn with their blatant disregard for environmental standards and the bills are just beginning to come in. When they begin to see the full repercussions of their polluting and wanton degradation of their country I suspect they will be most regretful.

It would be swell if for once we could all look at a looming environmental threat such as Pebble Mine as conservationist minded fly fisher men & women. Leave all the political dogma out of the equation and look at this for what it is.

'Bristol Bay & surrounding lands'; It is currently an unspoiled wilderness of land and sea that supports the worlds greatest salmon population. This is not political, it is not something to be debated, it is exactly as I have just written. The only way to obtain a real environmental impact report is to go ahead and dig the worlds largest gold, copper & molybdenum mine right at the head waters of this wilderness. After it would be done and the various chemicals put into use to extract the ore from the mined soil, then you would be able to begin an accurate environmental impact report. If in fact things don't work out just right; our situation will be as Cesar said after crossing the Rubicon River, "The Die Is Cast".

I am first and foremost a lover of wild things and places. I have spent my life seeking out these things and places as I suspect all who are posting to this topic have done to some extent. I do not mine gold, I have nothing to gain from one more gaping hole in the earth. I have only my utopian dreams to sustain myself on while those around me plot the next big thing.

Please, if you believe that this mine is a great idea and that it will make America strong again, contact the mining company and tell them so. They will be happy to hear from you. If you mistrust the government of the United States, contact your US. representatives and express your concerns. I have been on the No Pebble band wagon for years and don't plan to get off at any time soon. I hope one day I can see that place without the rising smoke of a smelter, the noise of an open pit mine, or the sight of ore barges on the horizon every time I look to sea.

That's what I think about all of this, I have no agenda, I am not a politician, and no tax dollars were used for this message which I have proof read and approve of.

dean_mt

Reaction score
'Bristol Bay & surrounding lands'; It is currently an unspoiled wilderness of land and sea that supports the worlds greatest salmon population. This is not political, it is not something to be debated, it is exactly as I have just written.
That should be enough for anyone.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Even ol' Hank Patterson is urging everyone to let the EPA know what a fiasco the Pebble Mine would end up being.:thumbsupu
https://www.facebook.com/HankPattersonYourFlyFishingGuide

BTW...Mrs fysh and I had the opportunity to spend some time with Hank recently and I must say he's quite the character, all around good guy.

Be sure and watch this awesome video about Sockeye and Bristol Bay!
[ame="http://vimeo.com/65625553"]sea-swallow'd on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK, I changed my mind. I'm with you guys. I now condemn the mine even though it is based on nothing. It's a shame it's based on nothing so the head of the EPA, Carol Browner could just crush them like bugs and get it over with. I don't care if it ignores the legal system, due process or how unfair it is. What's the point of having laws if you can't abuse them to fit an agenda. I don't care that it would raise tax revenue and vital resources. I'm sure Carol Browner was just kidding when she called for the bankruptcy of all the rich nations. She seems perfectly reasonable now.

Last edited: