Closing Waters to Sportfishing in Southern California

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

A quick update on the Souther California closed and restricted areas. The California Fish and Game Commissioners voted 3 to 2 to approve the Southern California Marine Protection Areas. Even though there were errors and bad data used to select some of the MPAs. Here is a link to the final MPA Map. The final selected restricts or closes about 12% of the total of Southern California's ocean to recreational fishing – including many of the best recreational fishing areas.

It is good that California is trying to improve the numbers of fish but all of their efforts are not based on proven facts or studies. The no fishing crowd and some conservation groups may have influence the Commissioners. Any true fisher person would understand and support closures that make sense and would result in better fishing. Now that the restrictions are placed into effect it will require the courts to force the Commissioners to make fair and reasonable MLAs.

One thing that I think is certain is the no fishing crowd is right in the middle of this. If you live in a coastal state you need to keep vigilant to head off any efforts to start a similar program in your state. Or to support a program that might be needed in your state and is documented with good studies.

Frank

FlyBum

Reaction score
One thing that I think is certain is the no fishing crowd is right in the middle of this.
For a minute I thought you were diplomat.

The no fishing crowd and some conservation groups may have influence the Commissioners. Any true fisher person would understand and support closures that make sense and would result in better fishing.
This is more like it!

The stupidity and shenanagans of the CA. DFG Commission is a chronic epidemic. You should see the regulations on the Upper Sacramento River. IMO the reason things things can go on is the general citizenry does not take these issues seriously or even care, because they do not understand and are unwilling to listen to be informed just how much is contributed by both recreational and commercial fishing to our states ecomomy. Therefore, the only people complaining are those of us with a vested interest in fishing and the even smaller, but louder group of radical animal rights and environmental groups.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Fly Bum,

You can check out the Californian Fish and Game Commission here. You will see that four of the five are strict conversationalist. Daniel W. Richards is the only one who has a remote connection with fishing and hunting. I would expect that members of this Commission would have a background in fish or wild life biology or science. They all seem to be political appointees that are making decision about things they know nothing about. It is true there are Fish and Game scientist who can provide date if they would use it. The process for Southern California establishing the MPAs shows they don't understand the data or just reject it completely.

Fly Bum, you are correct that the non-fishing crowd is much smaller than people with fishing licenses in California. Hopefully these first fishing bans will bring more fishers into the conflict. The coastal problem is not just a problem for fishers. The Kayakers have lost some of the beaches where they launch. The boating industry in California can also be impacted. Just wait until a boat captain is arrested because he is in a non-fishing area with fishing poles on board. It won't matter that they are not fishing.

One thing that is going to help the situation is California does not have the money to hire fisheries people to enforce the new rules. Lets hope this eases the situation somewhat.

Frank

FlyBum

Reaction score
They all seem to be political appointees that are making decision about things they know nothing about. It is true there are Fish and Game scientist who can provide date if they would use it.
Frank, because of my position within CA. State Government, which I'll not reveal, I know that these commissioners are exactly that. These commissions are just a means that the Governors who appoint the commissioners use to give 6 figure income jobs to termed out or voted out legislators whom they owe favors or to large financial contributers to their compains for Governor. These typically former legislators and financial benefactors more often than not have zero experience or interest in the subject matter of the commsssions to which they are appointed.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Frank, because of my position within CA. State Government, which I'll not reveal, I know that these commissioners are exactly that. These commissions are just a means that the Governors who appoint the commissioners use to give 6 figure income jobs to termed out or voted out legislators whom they owe favors or to large financial contributers to their compains for Governor. These typically former legislators and financial benefactors more often than not have zero experience or interest in the subject matter of the commsssions to which they are appointed.
So what you are saying is they become tools for animal rights activists? By the way the correct answer to my question is a resounding YES!

Dan