New Fly Angler

doubleo

Reaction score
Hi all!!!

I just moved to Upstate NY from Tampa Fl and well i'm an Avid Angler so crazy about fishing infact that i have nearly been divorced twice because of it LOL

Anyways i live only a 25-30mins away from the Beaverkill and have decided that it's time i learned how to flyfish after years of Saltwater and tourny Bass fishing.

My rod, Reel and Line just arrived the other day and i am currently teaching myself how to cast and what not. It's fun so far!

can't wait to get out on the water ASAP and i hope to see some of you there!

Mike

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi doubleo,

Welcome to NAFFF. You will enjoy fly fishing and the forum offers a lot of good advise. You could save yourself some headaches if you could find a fly shop that gives lessons. Just a couple of casting lessons would really accelerate your learning curve. You can check for certified fly casting instructors at this site. You don't have to put your name into the search function. Just put New York and US. You will get a long list for New York instructors. Just pick one in your area.

Frank

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
:welcome: to your new addiction... Since I started FF a couple months back, I can't get enough. It seems to be one of the only things I think about lately! Anyway, enjoy the journey and stick with it... there is a load of information here so look, browse and interact... you'll become a better FF because of it :D

Justin

ant

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood! You picked up the bad habit just in time for the weather to get nice, good call!

Ant

Walter1023

Reaction score
Doubleo:
Even though you are just starting out .....your new residence is centered around the birthplace of american flyfishing. Check out Catskill Flies website for stream reports and a forum on all rivers in your area. I can assure you that you will become addicted to this great game - as Joe Humphreys called it on some show I watched. He called it romance - because you fall in love with it. So in that respect...consider flyfishing a mistress that you will never break up with. Tight Lines and congratulations on getting into the greatest sport in the world...IMHO!