Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default upstate new york

tried fishing upstate new york on 5/3 and 5/4. i was around malone new york; (lake placid area), tried fishing the salmon river. the water was high due to all the rain. temp. was about 45 during the day and a continuous rain. the conditions were bad but coming from florida i fished anyways. didn't see a rise, didn't have a hit. fished nymphs, copperhead nymph whitch is my go to fly and no hits. IT WAS MISERABLE. LOVED EVERY MINUET OF IT. To qoute tred barta 90% of the battle is just getting out there. looking for some trout fishing closer. tenn. south or north carolina, any suggestions? good luck guys. excuse my spelling

Blog Entries

Default Re: upstate new york

If you live in Florida the closest I know of is in North Georgia. If you send A PM I'll name roads and creeks. For Tenn. the only places I have fished for trout there are in Smoky Mtn. National Park. There are also many trout streams that can be accessed by hiking from the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. If you are driving home through VA. on Interstate 81 you will go through Troutville. This is around Harrisonberg VA. and there are some trout streams in this area also.

I would offer to direct you to places in N. central Pennsylvania but my friends there tell me that way too much rain has the early season pretty well flooded.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Default Re: upstate new york

there are tons a rivers and small streams in NC to fish, if you're in the Smoky Mountains then you are not far from any trout stream. However the best river in the southeast (granted this is a personal opinion) for trout fishing is the South Holston river in Tennessee just south of Bristol. Beautiful big river with a huge popoulation of wild brown trout. The fishing can be very technical, presentation and the right fly or nymph is a must but the fish fight like crazy and have outstanding color.

its not been the best season so far here in ny. tons of snow=tons of runoff. plus its rained continuously with about 1 nice week of weather since april. the salmon river holds monsters. another good place to have tried is the ausable which is not very far. try again in the summer if you can. those rivers have good fishing year round.

Welcome to the forum Mrblair,
    Mark