Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Housatonic river, CT

I'm going to be visiting relatives in Ridgefield, CT next week and would like to fish the catch and release area above the Cornwall bridge. I live in Iowa and fish the driftless area of IA,MN,WI on spring creeks. Is it possible to fish this river without a guide. Any info would be appreciated. I usually fish with a 5wt 9ft St. Croix Legend Ultra. Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Housatonic river, CT

gill,

It has been awhile (think 1985) but I fished right where you are talking about. I did not have a guide and I caught several trout. The river is quite wadeable unless there has been some significant change. This is a wide piece of water and you should be well off fishing dry flies there. A typical Eastern Dry Fly selection should be in your possession before you put on your waders.

Check for a local shop online to get the lowdown on what to tie. Great and Historic little town Cornwall Bridge, good café's (best mushroom soufflé' I've ever had) and interesting shops, you will enjoy it.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Here's a couple of links for ya

HFFA.NET
    River Map HFFA.NET

https://ct.outdoorcentral.net/InternetSales/

The cost of a CT fishing license actually dropped 33% a couple of weeks ago
    The state had doubled all fees from last season and not only was there an uproar, but no one was buying. They were forced to reconsider.
    Of course there's no talk of a refund for those of us who got our license before the reduction
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Thanks for the info. I've got my 3 day nonresident license so we'll see what happens. John g