Grand Lake Stream

swampdonkey

Reaction score
My brother is taking some leave from the Air Force and we are going up to Downeast Maine (I know that sounds weird) for a cast and blast. We grew up in this region of Maine but somehow never got over there for the fall Salmon run. Figure we will split the time between fishing and a little bird hunting to keep the dog happy.

I'm not looking to spot burn in any way as I thoroughly feel that half the fun is finding good water on your own. However neither of us have any experience for landlocked salmon and was hoping for a few pattern suggestions. I intend to contact a local shop as well but was hoping to tap into some of the knowledge on here as well.

We are content catching trout and smallmouth as well so will plan on throwing some nymph rigs to start. However, I'm under the assumption that streamers are our best bet for salmon??? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

swampdonkey

Reaction score
Rip,

You know something I don't know? What I found online (maine.gov) says we are good up till October 20th. Of course that is quite pertinent information so I want to make sure we get it right :)

Dan

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Open Water Fishing Season:

April 1 to September 30, open to the taking of all species.
October 1 to November 30, lakes and ponds are open to fishing; all trout, landlocked salmon, togue, and black bass must be released alive at once.
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - pen Water Fishing Laws and Rules
The way I understand it, all stream fishing closes as of the last day of September, but lakes and pond are open longer for C&R.
This was always an issue with landlocks as they don't migrate until there's a spate of rain and that often didn't happen until after the first of October.

swampdonkey

Reaction score
Some of the guides (websites) up there say they fish till the 20th of October but maybe they are speaking of just the lakes as you pointed out.

I was going off this:

Grand Lake Stream, Grand Lake Stream Plantation, etc. S-5 from April 1 - October 20, including that portion of the stream adjacent to the hatchery pools. Closed to all fishing within 150 feet of Grand Lake Stream dam. From April 1
- August 15: S-19, S-22. From October 1- 20: All fish caught must be released alive at once.

Either way looks like I need to make some phone calls or we might just be bird hunting.

Seasons aside anyone have any recommendations for flies for landlocks?

gt05254

Reaction score
Classic streamers like gray ghost and green beauty always work for me. plus gold-ribbed hare's ear soft hackle. and even a white woolly bugger.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the guides (websites) up there say they fish till the 20th of October but maybe they are speaking of just the lakes as you pointed out.

I was going off this:

Grand Lake Stream, Grand Lake Stream Plantation, etc. S-5 from April 1 - October 20, including that portion of the stream adjacent to the hatchery pools. Closed to all fishing within 150 feet of Grand Lake Stream dam. From April 1
- August 15: S-19, S-22. From October 1- 20: All fish caught must be released alive at once.

Either way looks like I need to make some phone calls or we might just be bird hunting.

Seasons aside anyone have any recommendations for flies for landlocks?
This is ancient history but I don't think it has changed, the landlocked salmon season ends at the end of September. The ones I fished every fall were Penobscot, Moose, Kenebec, Roch, and Ragged. I say 'history because I started on them in 1979 and finished in 1994. Things were not nearly as good in 94' as they were in 79' and may be either on the mend or still sliding??

Go before the end of September if only for the colors in Baxter State Park and be sure to climb Katahdin, I did that 4 different time and always loved it :) Wish I were going along.........

swampdonkey

Reaction score
Well I confirmed that the 3 mile section of fly fishing only water is open till the 20th Oct to CandR only. Thats fine with me as I have a hard time taking fish now as I have grown accustomed to catching the same trout over and over this summer in a coupe rivers in NH. We intend to sustain on Mountain House dehydrated food bags and the occasional grouse anyways.

GT05254 - thanks for the pattern suggestions.

Hardy- I grew up in Whiting Maine and can attest to the beauty of Baxter State Park in the fall. You should come along. Plenty of room in the tent as long as you don't mind sleeping with a 95 lb lab that insists on being wet 75% of the day and demands to sleep on your chest.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I go to GLS 3 times a year. once in the spring, once in the summer for smallmouth in Big lake, & again in the fall, usually the first or second week in Oct. It's been open till the 20th for a few years now.
I stay at Gary Betz's GlS camps where the stream goes into Big Lake.
In the fall I usually have my best luck with
Streamers: Barnes Special, Black Ghosts, Green Ghosts, Witches, Black or green Wooley Buggers.

Nymphs: GRHE's, 14, 16, Green Caddis pupae & Larva,14,16,18, Pheasent Tails, 16, 18,20, Bead heads, Copper Johns etc.

Dry's: Adams 14,16,18, Henreyville caddis, Elk & Deer hair caddis Some times a PMD's , Basically anything you use for trout.
The waters on the high side now but hopefully it will come down a bit in the next few weeks.
You can get your flies in the General Store, just ask Kurt what's happening. I don't know when your going up there but ask Kurt if the "jersey guys " are there & if we're there look me up at the camp.

Neil

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hardy- I grew up in Whiting Maine and can attest to the beauty of Baxter State Park in the fall. You should come along. Plenty of room in the tent as long as you don't mind sleeping with a 95 lb lab that insists on being wet 75% of the day and demands to sleep on your chest.
I would if I could......................

I take an equally large German Shepherd everywhere here also and I struggle to keep him dry when we're in tent camp. With all the rain it is sometimes a losing battle on the dry dog thing. Have fun,

Ard

swampdonkey

Reaction score
We are shooting for October 4th through 7th as of right now. We will hit up Kurt for some local info and flies and if you guys are around we will try to swing by. Thanks for the info and good luck on the water.