Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougars about?

Default Re: Cougars about?

Quote Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
    We have them in Maine....the MDIFW refuses to acknowledge this. They admit that if they were here they would have to "protect" their home areas.
    I think that was the reason the DNR in NW Michigan (lower peninsula) initially resisted admitting they were present in the area. Over time, so many people had seen them that they had to start admitting that cougars really are present - it has become a safety issue in that people need to know to take precautions.

2. Default Re: Cougars about?

There is only one TRUE way to tell..............Check a local redneck's trailer to see if one is stuffed!!!!! If they are truly around, I'm sure a redneck shot one!

That web site address you furnished had a 1997 confirmed cougar in Massachusetts at Quabbin Reservoir. I used to live in MA and fished Quabbin a bit, you troll for trout and salmon with buck tails and streamers. In any event back in the 1980's there was a cougar sighting there as well, a photo of a cougar on a dead deer.

4. Default Re: Cougars about?

Ah the imfamous Michigan Cougar gets around

Just to check on regional semantics, where y'all are from do they actually call them "cougars"?

I ask because we Texans generally refer to them as "mountain lions".

Any "puma" using areas out there?

(I bet bobcats are annoyed that they only get one title)
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    Just to check on regional semantics, where y'all are from do they actually call them "cougars"?
    Here in New England the traditional name is catamount, but nowadaze your more likely to hear somebody call them mountain lions

I belong to a northeast hiking forum that has a thread that runs at least 5 pages with reported regional sightings
    Anyone that's interested can PM me for a link
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

7. Default Re: Cougars about?

I have personally seen 2 in Dutchess County in Ny over the last 8 or 10 years.
    I've also seem tracks,and kills on several occasions.
    I watched 1 through a 6 power scope for about 10 minutes,at about 250 yards while woodchuck hunting.No doubt at all on it being real!

I guess I would have been legal to shoot it right?
    Seeing how they aren't there it can't be illegal to shoot can it?

8. Default Re: Cougars about?

The cougars that hang out in the bars really don't seem like all that much of a problem to me!

my family saw one in southern maine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjgonehunting View Post
    The cougars that hang out in the bars really don't seem like all that much of a problem to me!
    LMAO! It might depend on how many beers you have been drinking!

Here is a link to a photo of a mountain lion on the Frying Pan River near Basalt, CO
    http://www.fryingpananglers.com/Phot...s-Jan-2009.htm

Larry

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast