Cougars about?

GRN

Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest to those in the NE- Ain't lion | Gristmill: The environmental news blog | Grist
Yup, most folks up here in Northern New England that I know have never been convinced by any of the agencies or their biologists (who don't even know what a rock bass is... that's a longer story for another time...) that the big cats were all gone. Scarce maybe, but who's to blame them for that?

TL's~

Joe D

Reaction score
(who don't even know what a rock bass is... that's a longer story for another time...) TL's~
Is it time yet? Aw, come on. You can't toss that out there without elaborating. :)

GRN

Reaction score
Is it time yet? Aw, come on. You can't toss that out there without elaborating. :)
Ok... well, nah... too long, I type too slow, and the story will lose a lot not being told in the flesh.... and it's damned funny too!

TL's~

Wannabee

Reaction score
The reports are every where here in central PA , doing what I do , I am in alot of people's homes and I hear the same arguement about the conspiracy of the Moutain Lions.
I have heard it all , from the "Hey , that makes sense" to "Are you off your medication?" But I Have also seen evidence , from a good friends game cam.The real good part of the story is that his father works for the game commision.
I do believe that it is possible that they are making a resurrgence , possible that it may have been a captive cat that got away.Who knows , maybe one day there will be a press release saying that they are amoung us!

BlueDun

Reaction score
Northwestern Michigan went through this same thing several years ago. My brother and I actually saw one cross the road in front of us. We looked at each like we each thought we were crazy. At that time, the DNR said we were seeing things - or, we were told we just saw a large house cat. (What we saw was way too big to be a house cat.) Now, the DNR has warning signs posted notifying people about the existence of the cougars in the area.

Brunner

Reaction score
We have a huge Cougar problem in Dallas, but it's mainly at the bars!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Cougars are huge animals. There is no way that someone would mistake one for a house cat. By the way, California doesn't have Cougars, they have Mountain Lions even though they are the same animal.

Frank

Cougar

Mountain Lion

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Last fall my wife and I were manning a poker run stop for the local bike club. We were at the WyColo lodge in the Snowy Mountains. One of the first couples to check in reported a cougar had run across the hwy between their two bikes. Needless to say they were pretty excited.

Larry

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
We have them in Maine....the MDIFW refuses to acknowledge this. They admit that if they were here they would have to "protect" their home areas. Putting an end to all wood harvesting in that area.....check the endangered species act.

BlueDun

Reaction score
We have them in Maine....the MDIFW refuses to acknowledge this. They admit that if they were here they would have to "protect" their home areas.
I think that was the reason the DNR in NW Michigan (lower peninsula) initially resisted admitting they were present in the area. Over time, so many people had seen them that they had to start admitting that cougars really are present - it has become a safety issue in that people need to know to take precautions.

cmdrstp

Reaction score
There is only one TRUE way to tell..............Check a local redneck's trailer to see if one is stuffed!!!!! If they are truly around, I'm sure a redneck shot one!

Red Owl

Reaction score
That web site address you furnished had a 1997 confirmed cougar in Massachusetts at Quabbin Reservoir. I used to live in MA and fished Quabbin a bit, you troll for trout and salmon with buck tails and streamers. In any event back in the 1980's there was a cougar sighting there as well, a photo of a cougar on a dead deer.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Just to check on regional semantics, where y'all are from do they actually call them "cougars"?

I ask because we Texans generally refer to them as "mountain lions".

Any "puma" using areas out there?

(I bet bobcats are annoyed that they only get one title)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Just to check on regional semantics, where y'all are from do they actually call them "cougars"?
Here in New England the traditional name is catamount, but nowadaze your more likely to hear somebody call them mountain lions

I belong to a northeast hiking forum that has a thread that runs at least 5 pages with reported regional sightings
Anyone that's interested can PM me for a link

mjgonehunting

Reaction score
I have personally seen 2 in Dutchess County in Ny over the last 8 or 10 years.
I've also seem tracks,and kills on several occasions.
I watched 1 through a 6 power scope for about 10 minutes,at about 250 yards while woodchuck hunting.No doubt at all on it being real!

I guess I would have been legal to shoot it right?
Seeing how they aren't there it can't be illegal to shoot can it?