Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lake Placid (Late July)

Default Lake Placid (Late July)

I go to Lake Placid every year for about a week in late july. I normally fly fish the Ausable river, Lake Placid, and Moose Pond. What are some spots in upstate new york within a hour or so of Lake Placid that are great fishing (even spinning reel). Im trying out the st.regis canoe area for the first time this year too. Thanks!

Default Re: Lake Placid (Late July)

I haven't fished it yet, but I'm told that the area where the Ausable dumps into Lake Chamlplain is a wildlife preserve (open to fishing) that the Ausable meanders through. It's supposed to be a honey-hole for smallmouth and walleye fishing (though walleyes will likley be much deeper this time of year).
    - Rick

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

3. Default Re: Lake Placid (Late July)

I live about an hour from Lake Placid, and obviously the Ausable has amazing trout fishing. There's a bunch of small lakes and ponds throughout the area that all have descent sized large/smallmouth bass. Mirror Lake right in town, Lake Colby in Saranac, and many more. Theirs a lot of water in the Adirondacks and when i'm in the area I just pull over whenever I see a body of water. I'd go to the Ausable River Two Fly shop in Wilmington, it's the only fly shop I go to in the area, and they can give you some good advice.

4. Default Re: Lake Placid (Late July)

Quote Originally Posted by lamberkg194 View Post
    I live about an hour from Lake Placid, and obviously the Ausable has amazing trout fishing. There's a bunch of small lakes and ponds throughout the area that all have descent sized large/smallmouth bass. Mirror Lake right in town, Lake Colby in Saranac, and many more. Theirs a lot of water in the Adirondacks and when i'm in the area I just pull over whenever I see a body of water. I'd go to the Ausable River Two Fly shop in Wilmington, it's the only fly shop I go to in the area, and they can give you some good advice.
    Not sure if you are interested in brook trout but roaring brook is loaded with brookies. Pretty much every cast you have a fish on!

I would check with the Hungry Trout fly shop in Wilmington; they've been around a long time. Rachel Finn is head guide, and she's the best.
    Gary

If your looking to pack in a bit,you can head to the ponds and have a crack at a record Brookie.Record seems to be getting smashed every other year as of late with a bunch of near records every year.

Good luck
    Scott

7. Default Re: Lake Placid (Late July)

Saranac River about 30 minutes outside of Lake Placid has a lot of public access.