Swift River Massachusetts

bowsie15

Reaction score
Anyone ever fish the swift river in Belchertown or Ware Mass. Probably the only place I know of in Mass to consistently catch trophy rainbows and landlocked salmon. I Talking to the locals they informed me that the salmon got washed over the dam in high water and take refuge in the river. The river is cold clear shallow river that is basically sight fishing the wholke way down. If you can figure out what they are feeding on usually the smallest dries you can have a ball. I would try to stay away from weekend because it is pretty heavily fished but if you can get there early on a weekday you can have a ball all day long. Ive always fished early spring but will be making a summer trip soon I know the fish will be there. If you want to see some live action of the swift you can see my videos on youtube my id is bowsie15!!!!

mdx08

Reaction score
A small river that is very crowded most days. Mostly locals who fish there multiple days a week. Be ready to have one or two walk thru the run you're fishing. And most of the fish have names.

friar tyer

Reaction score
The Swift is a great place to fish. It can be fun or frustrating, but it's always a challenge. There are Rainbows, Brookies, Browns, Tigers, Lakers, landlocked Salmon and Smallmouth to be caught. The Lakers, Salmon and Smallies all come over the spillway.

The FF only C&R section above Rt. 9 is great fishing. This section IMO is the best for dry fly fishing.

The lower portion of the river below Rt. 9 has some good fishing also. This section is accessible by canoe or kayak. There are quite a few nice size fish and some huge ones.

4wt

Reaction score
I was there awhile ago, great fun. In the FF C&R area (especially the Y fork) you'll have fish all over. They seemed to be liking sulphers that day.

The lower portion friar mentions also had a good amount of action, though it gets deep quick and not great for wading - you'll want a boat. Some real lunkers there.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
See, I've heard this about the Swift, so I haven't made the trip from Boston (JP) yet. Instead, I go to the Millers, which is nice. However, with water temps what they are, it would be nice to hear some non-nightmare stories about the Swift during the summer on weekdays--I just don't enjoy crowded rivers.

friar tyer

Reaction score
The Sulphur hatch is coming to an end now. They get smaller towards the end of the hatch. Last one I saw was about a size 22.

I haven't used San Juan worms there, but I did catch a big Rainbow with a white San Juan worm in it's mouth just a couple weeks ago.

There's always a bunch of people there even on the weekdays. Mostly locals who fish there all the time. There are a couple grumpy people, but most are really friendly and willing to give tips to new guys.

4wt

Reaction score
I can confirm that I saw people slaying with the San Juan worm, pink and white.

If you move down river from the Y fork it seems less busy. I was there on a Saturday my most recent time, there were maybe 4 at the Y fork, a couple people up river, and two or three down river, but even further down (still great wading) it was fairly empty for good stretches. Everyone seemed pretty nice and were trading flies.

bowsie15

Reaction score
There's one old timer I was talking to there that fishes the river everyday and he has for years. He will tell you everything you need to know. He usually starts at the y pool and works his way upstream really nice guy and a legend around there.

friar tyer

Reaction score
That's got to be Bill. Nice guy who really knows his stuff. I see him there all the time and he is almost always catching fish. I learned allot about how to fish the swift from talking to him and watching what he does.

bowsie15

Reaction score
Yup that's him same here I must of castes every fly I had with no takers talked to him and went to the tackle shop in town. Got some new flies and caught fish all day. Most guys I've met in the swift don't share info. What a good guy. I was going once a week in march and saw him everyday I was there!!! Actually thinking about going again soon how's the fishing in August???

friar tyer

Reaction score
The fishing has been good so far this August. The water is nice and cool and there are still plenty of fish around. It's been a while since the last stocking so the fish that are still there are getting tougher to catch. Also it's been pretty busy so some runs have seen allot of pressure.

I've been having to look around more for fish that are willing to bite. Allot of them are hanging around in tough to get to places. With all the downed tree's from the storm there are more places for them to seek cover.

I've also needed a perfect drift to get any bites. Some will follow the fly for a while or nub it 2 or 3 times before biting. Any drag at all and I get refusals.

Overall it has been fun fishing. Challenging, but not too difficult.

bowsie15

Reaction score
Thats what I like about the river the fish are picky and u have to really outsmart them. We mite do an overbite there this weekend a Friday day and Saturday morning. Are there campsites near the Y pool???

friar tyer

Reaction score
There's no camping near the Y pool or any of the upper portion of the river since it's on Quabbin Reservoir land. There's probably camping available in the surrounding towns of Belchertown or Ware though.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There's 2 campgrounds in Monson. I'm not familiar with either though. I have my own land there that we use for camping :D
There's also camping at Wells State Park in Sturbridge