Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Swift River Massachusetts

Default Swift River Massachusetts

Will do. I'm actually fishing the worm hatch in Rhode Island the beginning of may I guess you fish the salt ponds and the stripers go nuts. I've never done it before my uncle did it last year and booked it for this year. If you have flies that resemble a worm and you need a lot of them because thy get pretty beat up you can have a blast.

Default Re: Swift River Massachusetts

The worm hatch is a blast. First to weeks of May is usually schoolies but a lot of them, after that the bigger ones show up. Try to get there before the worms start coming up because later on in the evening there will be so many worms it can be frustrating. Do you know who you guys will be fishing with?

My uncle knows him an older guy from Boston not sure his name. I went to ll bean in Dedham for some new waders for tomorrow and the guy working there was friends with the guy that runs it I guess. Him and my uncle were talking about it.

US Fish and Wildlife sponsors a free Cinder Worm Workshop at the Ninigret Refuge every May.
    2 nights of instruction and tying and one night fishing.
    Pre-registration is mandatory

http://www.fws.gov/ninigret/pdf/Pres...%20%281%29.pdf
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    US Fish and Wildlife sponsors a free Cinder Worm Workshop at the Ninigret Refuge every May.
    2 nights of instruction and tying and one night fishing.
    Pre-registration is mandatory

http://www.fws.gov/ninigret/pdf/Pres...%20%281%29.pdf
    I think that's him. So went to the swift today and it ended up being a waste. Once again the weathermen suck. They said it was going to be a high today of around 50. They never said it was going to be 30 with 40 mph winds which made unbearable basically. The y pool to the governor's pool was still frozen and the wind coming off the dam made it almost impossible to cast. I had gone to ll bean in Dedham the day before to get some new waders since mine had a leak in them and I also picked up another pair of emerges for my buddy. Basically I'm done with ll bean. My buddies waders leaked instantly and he was out of the water in 20 mins he was just too cold. I know the emerges for $160 are on the cheaper end but c'mon. And the leak was in the boot. I used to praise ll bean for their service, warranty, and products but I have seen a drastic change in the past few years. Even the main branch in Freeport has been suspect. Last time I was there it took me almost an hour to find someone to help me in the hunting section. So all in all going to wait for weather to get warmer to head back. Also it looked like there was way less fish there. Usually you can still spot them every where no matter how cold. Only saw 1 at y pool and a few up by bubbler pool.

I made it to the river for the first time this year on Wednesday. The weather was nice and there was only a couple other people there. I was a little nervous about getting skunked since I haven't fished in a few months. After getting hung up in a tree and spooking a couple fish I got the hang of it again and landed my first rainbow. I ended up catching about half a dozen rainbows. Most were caught on my pheasant tail beetle pattern and one on my parachute ant/spider pattern. There isn't as many fish as there was last year. The runs between rte 9 and the y pool were pretty empty and there were only a few fish I could see in the bubbler arm. Most of the fish I saw were in the y pool.
    Joe

did u get to the otherside of rte 9. the pipeline (where the hatchery comes in) is always good for a few. the only problem i have with the swift is its not a river. its like an irrigation ditch with fish in it. anyone make it out to the millers. central mass has been pretty good this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nsdrawbridge10 View Post
    did u get to the otherside of rte 9. the pipeline (where the hatchery comes in) is always good for a few. the only problem i have with the swift is its not a river. its like an irrigation ditch with fish in it. anyone make it out to the millers. central mass has been pretty good this year.
    How do get to the pipeline where the hatchery comes in??? I've been there years ago but can't find it the last few times I've been there.

The street directly across from the parking area on Rt9.

The street directly across from the parking lot on rte 9 is a dead end. The hatchery pipe access is on River Road. The hatchery pipe parking lot is either the 3rd or 4th dirt road on the right hand side of River rd. You'll know you're in the right parking lot if you see a small brick pump house.
    Joe

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast