Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulaski Steel

Default Re: Pulaski Steel

That is correct!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Blog Entries

Ahh ok, that makes more sense. Having the weight 4 ft away is just snag-worthy bottom bouncing more than anything else. So I default back to my previous posting, though the tungsten probably wouldn't hurt!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Yeah, 4' or less. The fly can also be slightly weighted but not enough that jerking the fly could result in snagging. I think I'll opt for the 8 lb tippet. Maybe I'll even drop down to 6 lb- not sure on that. I have been told that salmon are not line shy so go ahead and use a 10 lb tippet. What about steelhead? If you use a smaller diameter tippet do you get more strikes? On the flies, I know bright colored egg patterns are recommended but what about plain or dark patterns? Would an olive woolly bugger be a standard choice or is it a once in a while thing?

Forget the weight! All the chromers you want right now at Douglaston and Ballpark. Large beadhead stoneflys and copperjohn stoneflys no additional weight!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

Blog Entries

Lately I've had the most luck swinging white streamers, plus I've had more fun doing it... I promised myself that this season I'd work on improving my streamer game and the white ones (like Moto's Minnow) have done the best so far.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Problem im having is the streamers are catching salmon(nice problem)and the steel seem to be tucked in to the rock riivlets and cut away embankments where swinging a streamer is virtually impossible and definitely impractical. Egg patterns are doing nothing but big stones are getting hammered . As much as I'd rather hookup on a controlled streamer sweep I have to go with what works the stonefly nymphs. Now AJ if you want to give up where your getting them on streamers I'll gladly switch! Haha!

7. Default Re: Pulaski Steel

Anyone fish the SR from Nov.-April ? I'm new here, but not new to wading through the drifts to get to some steel. Last winter was different. I go one or two days every 2 weeks thru April. I'll put up some reports if anyone is interested. I generally highstick nymphs and sucker spawn patterns, occasionally swing crayfish and sculpins low in the column.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by fichy View Post
    Anyone fish the SR from Nov.-April ? I'm new here, but not new to wading through the drifts to get to some steel. Last winter was different. I go one or two days every 2 weeks thru April. I'll put up some reports if anyone is interested. I generally highstick nymphs and sucker spawn patterns, occasionally swing crayfish and sculpins low in the column.

Charlie
    Was up a few week's ago & did real well. Small nymph's & egg pattern's under an indicator. Hope to get up next month. Will diffinetly be there for @ least a week in March.

9. Default Re: Pulaski Steel

Steelhead start coming in sept...but better numbers in OCT and NOV..then the run lasts though the winter in with steady trickle until early spring....we fish till march and April when they start dropping back.

Red Owl;

I'm also totally new for steelhead fishing on the Great Lakes. I recommand you this book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Steelhead-Salmon-Trout/dp/0811735834/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356865243&sr=1-4&keywords=steelhead+fly+fishing"]Great Lakes Steelhead, Salmon & Trout: Essential Techniques for Fly Fishing the Tributaries: Karl Weixlmann: 9780811735834: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61akRbmeX1L.@@AMEPARAM@@61akRbmeX1L[/ame] I just finish read it last week, and it's a VERY good book (when, where, and how to fish).

If anyone have other references, please share !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast