Pulaski Steel

Red Owl

Reaction score
I know there is a definate season (9/15-10/15) for Salmon but what about steelhead? Is there a short season with a peak of activity or are they in the river for a longer period of time. Can you sight fish them like salmon? How do the methods to catch each differ from one another?:cool:

Reaction score
steel are running now and will do though out the winter. Later in the season, most fish will be up river.

egg flies, stones are they key flies. If you're a spey guy, some spey flies will work too.
You can sigh fish for them, just look for all the other fishermen, thats where the fish will be.

BTW, your 'salmon season' is off. Its unpredictable. the run started WAY early this year, right at the beginning of september, all wild fish (with adipose fin), then came steelhead and hatchery fish, which i believe are still trickling in

Red Owl

Reaction score
So the answer is they should be showing up by November and they hang around all winter, so there isn't a "peak" week or two, and egg patterns or stonefly patterns work best. And, upriver (Altmar?) is best in winter. Do they hold in pools, behind rocks in runs? Have the fly bounce bottom? What would be a good tippet test strength? 8 lbs?

gatortransplant

Reaction score
If you're going to be using egg patterns and stoneflies, your best bet is to use your favorite indicator type and set it so that the fly ticks bottom every so often. If you're not getting snagged up every so often, you're likely not in the strike zone. Set your weight (tungsten, shot, whatever you prefer 12-20" above the fly. As far as tippet goes, 3x or so is a good average, around 8 pounds, though you might find yourself having to go lighter based on the conditions. Personally I use fluorocarbon both for its buoyancy properties (it sinks more than nylon mono) and its visibility (closer refraction index to water/less visibility to fish). As far as where the fish are, that is going to depend on a number of factors, from when you arrive in the season to weather conditions to what has happened in the particular run you will be/are fishing. You're better off trying casts tight to the sides of rocks and just in front of them, as fish are less likely to be directly behind the rocks (though they often will be near them). However, try the pools just behind the riffle. As the water gets colder the fish will move back closer to the tailout if I'm not mistaken, but early in the season they should be closer to the head of the pool, unless they've been disturbed. Somewhere that gets pressure like the Salmon River can often see situations where the fish aren't where you would expect to find them because another angler either is or was standing in holding water. Don't forget to fish the inside seams, as often anglers are so caught up chunking casts to the far seams that the inside seams don't get attention. As a disclaimer, all of what I have typed here runs the risk of being entirely incorrect, but I hope it helps.

Reaction score
If you're going to be using egg patterns and stoneflies, your best bet is to use your favorite indicator type and set it so that the fly ticks bottom every so often. If you're not getting snagged up every so often, you're likely not in the strike zone. Set your weight (tungsten, shot, whatever you prefer 12-20" above the fly. As far as tippet goes, 3x or so is a good average, around 8 pounds, though you might find yourself having to go lighter based on the conditions. Personally I use fluorocarbon both for its buoyancy properties (it sinks more than nylon mono) and its visibility (closer refraction index to water/less visibility to fish). As far as where the fish are, that is going to depend on a number of factors, from when you arrive in the season to weather conditions to what has happened in the particular run you will be/are fishing. You're better off trying casts tight to the sides of rocks and just in front of them, as fish are less likely to be directly behind the rocks (though they often will be near them). However, try the pools just behind the riffle. As the water gets colder the fish will move back closer to the tailout if I'm not mistaken, but early in the season they should be closer to the head of the pool, unless they've been disturbed. Somewhere that gets pressure like the Salmon River can often see situations where the fish aren't where you would expect to find them because another angler either is or was standing in holding water. Don't forget to fish the inside seams, as often anglers are so caught up chunking casts to the far seams that the inside seams don't get attention. As a disclaimer, all of what I have typed here runs the risk of being entirely incorrect, but I hope it helps.

For Salmon river, added weights, i.e. those not part of the fly, must be no closer than 48 inches from the fly/bait/eggsac

Reaction score
i was technically wrong, heres the quote from NYCDEC Regulations 10.a.2.c(II) e-f

its actually the leader can be no longer than 4ft and the weight cannot hang lower than the hook

(e) Weight shall not be added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure in any manner such that the weight hangs lower than the attached hook, artificial fly or lure when the line or leader is suspended vertically from the rod, except from Lake Ontario upstream to the Route 3 bridge from April 1st through August 14th.

(f) The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed four feet.

Red Owl

Reaction score
Yeah, 4' or less. The fly can also be slightly weighted but not enough that jerking the fly could result in snagging. I think I'll opt for the 8 lb tippet. Maybe I'll even drop down to 6 lb- not sure on that. I have been told that salmon are not line shy so go ahead and use a 10 lb tippet. What about steelhead? If you use a smaller diameter tippet do you get more strikes? On the flies, I know bright colored egg patterns are recommended but what about plain or dark patterns? Would an olive woolly bugger be a standard choice or is it a once in a while thing?

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Lately I've had the most luck swinging white streamers, plus I've had more fun doing it... I promised myself that this season I'd work on improving my streamer game and the white ones (like Moto's Minnow) have done the best so far.

theboz

Reaction score
Problem im having is the streamers are catching salmon(nice problem)and the steel seem to be tucked in to the rock riivlets and cut away embankments where swinging a streamer is virtually impossible and definitely impractical. Egg patterns are doing nothing but big stones are getting hammered . As much as I'd rather hookup on a controlled streamer sweep I have to go with what works the stonefly nymphs. Now AJ if you want to give up where your getting them on streamers I'll gladly switch! Haha!

fichy

Reaction score
Anyone fish the SR from Nov.-April ? I'm new here, but not new to wading through the drifts to get to some steel. Last winter was different. I go one or two days every 2 weeks thru April. I'll put up some reports if anyone is interested. I generally highstick nymphs and sucker spawn patterns, occasionally swing crayfish and sculpins low in the column.

Charlie

only on a fly

Reaction score
Anyone fish the SR from Nov.-April ? I'm new here, but not new to wading through the drifts to get to some steel. Last winter was different. I go one or two days every 2 weeks thru April. I'll put up some reports if anyone is interested. I generally highstick nymphs and sucker spawn patterns, occasionally swing crayfish and sculpins low in the column.

Charlie
Was up a few week's ago & did real well. Small nymph's & egg pattern's under an indicator. Hope to get up next month. Will diffinetly be there for @ least a week in March.

trial153

Reaction score
Steelhead start coming in sept...but better numbers in OCT and NOV..then the run lasts though the winter in with steady trickle until early spring....we fish till march and April when they start dropping back.

ben664

Reaction score
Red Owl;

I'm also totally new for steelhead fishing on the Great Lakes. I recommand you this book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Steelhead-Salmon-Trout/dp/0811735834/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356865243&sr=1-4&keywords=steelhead+fly+fishing"]Great Lakes Steelhead, Salmon & Trout: Essential Techniques for Fly Fishing the Tributaries: Karl Weixlmann: 9780811735834: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61akRbmeX1L.@@AMEPARAM@@61akRbmeX1L[/ame] I just finish read it last week, and it's a VERY good book (when, where, and how to fish).

If anyone have other references, please share !!