Favorite less expensive rods / reels?

4wt

Reaction score
I had a Cabela's Three Forks rod to start, and TBH I didn't love it - it wasn't bad but the action was a bit janky, if that makes sense. Graduated to a Gray's and it was like night and day.

However, as my username indicates, I currently have a 4wt and would like to end up having an 8 or a 9, as well as a super lightweight rod.

I have an Orvis near me, but they're too pricy (though NICE!). I was curious if anyone here had recommendations for less expensive rods (and reels to go with them), with the caveat that I understand that you get what you pay for.

Thanks for any tips!

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Echo/Lamson.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Best thing about these 2 brands is you can have a rod and reel for less than $200 right now since the Konics switched colors and the Echo Carbonsare being changed as well so both are on clearence all over the web.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
well there are a number of rods in this category that may suit your needs. First and foremost I would recomend the Orvis Clearwater 8'6" 4 weight at the $200 price point. In my opinion the best for cheap, little to no re-verb in the blank, excellent line tracking and weighs just 3 ounces, for $200 its hard to beat. Next I would recomend the Winston Passport, this rod is also at the $200 price point, its one of two Winston rods wrapped over seas, its not assembled in Montana like the rest of thier rods but still amazing for the money, either 8', 8'6", 9' foot models are all good in the 4 weight. The TFO, professional is another good inexpensive choice in a 4 weight model for UNDER $200, but not better than the 2 previous rods mentioned IMO. Like I said before, at the $200 price point your not going to find better rods, people may disagree, but take it from me ive been in the fly-fishing industry for years. If your willling to spend $320 the G.Loomis Pro4x is an incredible stick, and propbably one of the best price to performance ratios on the market today, if you can spend it, this rod will satisfy even the most experienced angler. I'm not sure what your price limit is, so here are just a few suggestions. If you can give me an accurate dollar amount I would be happy to provide you with more suggestions. Hope this helps, tight lines :)

troutnut4

Reaction score
IMHO it's your choice and your choice alone. You will get a lot of helpful hints or suggestions but if I were you, I would pick a price range, ignore the rods that don't fit the budget, go to a dedicated fly shop and cast till you find one that suits your experience level, and matches the type of fishing you expect to do. From there, everything else is aesthetics. Enjoy whatever you buy and good luck .:fishing:

silvertip8k

Reaction score
I dont think for the $$ TFO can be beat...I use them for lessons...and they are great rods, and the guarantee is hard to beat...Lamson reels are tearing up the market too...

I was at the show in Denver and tried the TFO and a Sage ...and for 500$ there was not that big a difference...most peolpe would never know the difference..JMHO...

the high dollar stuff isnt as appealing as it once was to me becase of how much other things are costing...shops like the $$ because the mark up is incredible...ie...

a typical TFO costs a shop 130-175$ and retails for $225-325.00 a similar sage costs a shop 260.00 and retails from between $480-545.00...hmmm...thats a big difference...

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
The TFO are great rods too. We have both an 8' 4wt TFO Pro series and an 8' 4wt Echo Carbon and the quality is there and they are both a joy to cast. If I were deciding between the 2 right now, it would come down to the carbon on clearence for $85 with a tube, or $150 for the TFO without one.

buzzr

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 9'6" #8wt and thinking of the Sage One. Are there similar rods with the same/similar action for less money??

Reaction score
if you can find a redington CPS you'll be good to go, also, the redington Classic trout for smaller weight rods, again, if you can find one. Sometimes they come up on ebay or other sites used. Well worth the investment.

imxer

Reaction score
I had a Cabela's Three Forks rod to start, and TBH I didn't love it - it wasn't bad but the action was a bit janky, if that makes sense. Graduated to a Gray's and it was like night and day.

However, as my username indicates, I currently have a 4wt and would like to end up having an 8 or a 9, as well as a super lightweight rod.

I have an Orvis near me, but they're too pricy (though NICE!). I was curious if anyone here had recommendations for less expensive rods (and reels to go with them), with the caveat that I understand that you get what you pay for.

Thanks for any tips!
The high end rod you want that you find on ebay, in great shape, at the price you want to pay. Might take patience but worth it. Give it a try. ;)

Last edited:

jor fly

Reaction score
My primary is a redington classic trout (4wt) and I love it! I recently got a TFO NXT (5wt) and while its not bad, I really feel like the line that comes with the combo i got is not heavy enough to load the rod, so if you get the combo, get a heavier line. (Or use bigger flies:).

noreaster

Reaction score
Allen myth, now ATS I think.
Reddington CT 4wt. 8foot.
St.Croix 7-6 4wt. Really nice powerful and accurate rod.
Vintage Sage RPL 7-6 5wt. You can find these reasonably priced on that auction site. I love it to death.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Probably someone already mentioned the St. Croix Imperial, but just in case . . . I pulled the trigger on this stick after much research and reading all the unanimously positive reviews about this rod. I still take it with me on every trip. It is a fast action, albeit with a fairly soft tip, so extremely short single false cast manuevers are not its forte, but for a general purpose 4 wt. I think it's tough to beat.

As for cheap reels, I have several Okuma SLVs, which are slowly being phased out for upgrades, but they are decent reels with very good drags (cork) at a very low price point. They are a bit fragile though, compared to the machined aluminum reels I favor now, but as boat/float tube reels they are as good as anything out there.

Peace.

4wt

Reaction score
Awesome advice guys, thanks!

I never even thought to check ebay for some reason...

tyler185

Reaction score
I am a fan of Redington. I have a 6wt predator for streamer fishing and a 6'6 3wt pursuit for small stream. The predator is by far my favorite rod. It's awesome for throwing heavy flies.

moucheur2003

Reaction score

Thanks for any tips!
I am pretty impressed with the Orvis Clearwater models at the $200 price point. You might be able to find something better for less, but you would have to look hard. And there's something to be said for having the shop nearby. Orvis's support after the sale can't be beat, and it's good to have friendly advice available as you expand your skills and your quiver.

If you're willing to buy a discontinued product, forum member sweetandsalt loves the Targus Gary Borger rods. They come in two series,"light touch" and "professional" series. They are being sold at $129 clearance prices (marked down from $300+) at theflyshop.com . Sweetandsalt was in touch with Borger himself when they were being developed, and liked them so much he bought two of every model. He says Borger told him personally that the 8'6" 5 weight Light Touch was the best 5 weight he had ever cast. I have the 9 weight Pro and the 8' 4 weight Light Touch and they are both great for their purpose. Since they are liquidating the remaining stock, if you want one it would be best to call their 800 number first to be sure they still have the model you want.

Another closeout choice is the Powell Tiboron XL currently being sold at Sierra Trading Post. I have that 9 weight too and it is a terrific fast saltwater rod. (I wonder if it might be too stiff in the trout sizes, though.) The best way to buy from STP is to sign up for their discount email list and wait for a day when the daily discount offer is especially generous. I have seen those Powells available for only a little above $100, but on other days it is closer to $150. Like the Borgers, they too originally listed in the $300-350 range.

As recently discussed on another thread, Albright is currently offering an inventory-reduction sale on their A5NS and EXT/EXS rods ($150 and 180, respectively). I haven't tried those models, but others here have spoken well of them. (Don't be fooled by the deep-discount sales hype, though. Albright rods are always "discounted" from a phony "MSRP". It's just that they are a few extra $10's cheaper right now than what they usually sell for, not a few extra $100's.)

Last edited: