Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakewood Camps and Rapid River

Default Lakewood Camps and Rapid River

Fellow Anglers,

My wife presented me with a trip to the Lakewood Camps in Maine as an anniversary gift. We will be going in early September. I have heard stories about large feisty brookies in the neighboring Rapid River.

I would greatly appreciate hearing what people have to say about the camps and the fishery. Thanks friends
    Nearenuf

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.

Default Re: Lakewood Camps and Rapid River

You are a lucky man! Make sure your streamer box is full of goodies like these (Deep Green Beauty, Green Beauty, Gray Ghost):

Don't forget to hit Upper Dam, the Magalloway, etc. while you're there. That's one of the nicest gifts I can think of!
    Gary

3. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

The Lakewood Camps owner recently did a presentation at our club and since we fish that general area, I sat in. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much because frankly I wasn't all that interested in knowing about the different pies that they served or how they couldn't find good help so I didn't stay long.
    I can tell you that the Rapid is a great fishery and while it's hard to access, don't be surprised when you're not alone. You can find some solitude below Pond in River, but the quality fishery there at Middle Dam it's hardly unknown.

You'll find a good article on the fishing Rapid on the Fly Fisherman website and the best fishing map of the river that I've seen is actually on the Lakewoods Camps site.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

5. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
    You are a lucky man! Make sure your streamer box is full of goodies like these (Deep Green Beauty, Green Beauty, Gray Ghost):

Don't forget to hit Upper Dam, the Magalloway, etc. while you're there. That's one of the nicest gifts I can think of!
    Gary
    Gary I spoke to a guy from the camp at the fly show over the weekend and he really didn't answer my question: How is the public access to this river? Is
    it accessable? Just curious cause it looks pretty nice.
    Rip please chime in if you know. Thanks
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

7. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

There's three ways in
    The easiest is to take a boat ride over from South Arm
    The other 2 involve driving for a good distance on logging roads. From the north it's 16 miles and from the south 9.5. Then, once you come to the gate you have to hike the rest of the way.
    In Maine there's always gates They don't try to keep you out, just make it difficult to get to where you want to go.

Boz, you can PM me if you want better directions, but that's not something that I'd want to share on the world wide web
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

9. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

Thanks Rip I will if i decide to go.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

11. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

I fished it just once...the long hike in comes under the "once is enough" heading. Too many other great rivers and streams in that area to wear out any more shoe leather. for me, anyway.
    Gary

13. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
    I fished it just once...the long hike in comes under the "once is enough" heading. Too many other great rivers and streams in that area to wear out any more shoe leather. for me, anyway.
    Gary
    That's how I see it too.
    That and the Rapid has such a reputation that it draws people in like flies.
    It reminded me of the only time that I climbed Mt Washington.
    There was a great deal of effort expended to get to the top only to find the place crawling with people who drove the auto road or took the cog.

.... not to take away anything from your anniversary gift, capecodangler. I'm sure that staying on-site will make for an excellent experience.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Actually I'm looking forward to returning to that area late this spring.
    I've made reservations for the same place that we stayed last year and have already figured out a few new places to fish

Last June.

This was at Upper Dam.... We just walked in and didn't even fish.
    Talk about gates !. There's three different ones on this road at different intervals and they close them seasonally according to how many people that they feel the need to deter.
    Again, no one is trying to keep you out. They're just culling out the folks less likely to put in the effort.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-07-2013 at 11:39 AM.

15. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

Beautiful shots Rip Tide
    Roofish

17. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

Thanks Gary. It was a wonderful gift. Of course, my wife loves to fish too.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Thanks. Great photos. Staying at the Lodge and fishing with a guide is always my first choice when visiting an area for the first time. My 63 year old back and artificial knee are a wonderful excuse for not camping out.... More power to you.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Thanks Boz. I plan to use traditional streamers like the ones you display.
    Nearenuf

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast