Monomoy

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Here's some recent pictures of the new Southway cut and other structural changes at Chatham resulting from this winter's storms
When the old Southway channel closed up 5 or so years ago the prospects for great flats fishing at Monomoy fizzled due to the poor water exchange.
Hopefully this will help to improve a once great fishery.
Now all we need is for the white sharks to come cull out some of the seals. :D

March15, 2013 Chatham Post Second Storm

theboz

Reaction score
I believe you have the right idea Rip. In the 70s when Shinnecock and Moriches Inlets were wide open the flats fishery was outstanding. When storm damage closed them up the fisheries fizzled . Now due to storms in recent history they have changed and are starting to improve again.
But then again we had all the white sharks in the 70s now you do . Must mean something?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There used to be 2 charters running people out to the flats on the hour all season long.
When the old Southway channel closed up, the flats fishery collapsed and now it's rare to see anyone out there. The seals and general population decline pushed it over the edge, but it was the lack of any "cross current" that kept the fish off the flats.
One of the better guides out there posts here sometimes. Maybe he'll chime in with an opinion.

Not that the seals aren't a problem..

Last edited:

theboz

Reaction score
Storms can be great or they can devestate a fishery! Its funny that you posted thjs because yesterday i went in search of White Perch in a backwater off of Li Sound. This large inland brackish lake was fed from the estuary of the sound through two large culvert pipes and was a haven for big White Perch and the occasional schoolie Striper.
Sandy tore away the culvert pipes and the land barrier they went through! The whole body of water has changed drastically looking more like a saltwater estuary then the brackish lake it used to be! And not a perch to be found. The only positive is that i believe that the Stripers will filter in more now that the pipes are gone! Time will tell.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I haven't gone for the early white perch in a while.
I've found that the best way to locate a school is to watch where everybody else is fishing :eek:
They like the little grass shrimp and a small lime/chartreuse bonefish type fly always worked well for me.

theboz

Reaction score
Grass Shrimp patterns, Little Flashabou patterns and Sabiki patterns are my go to flys. When i got shut out I went prospecting on the south shore and ended up catching 7 Salters to 15 inches . Not a bad trade off! And glad to say NY has made them catch and release only now even in the salt areas!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Good thing on Li is few people fish for White Perch which is surprising cause the LiF seems to write them up in almost every issue pinpointing some of the best spots! During the early summer I catch them on dry flys in the evening!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Grass Shrimp patterns, Little Flashabou patterns and Sabiki patterns are my go to flys. When i got shut out I went prospecting on the south shore and ended up catching 7 Salters to 15 inches . Not a bad trade off! And glad to say NY has made them catch and release only now even in the salt areas!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Good thing on Li is few people fish for White Perch which is surprising cause the LiF seems to write them up in almost every issue pinpointing some of the best spots! During the early summer I catch them on dry flys in the evening!
Everyone is too busy trying to catch the first Bass of the season. They're missing out on catching a fantastic 5-6wt fish. Don't worry, I won't tell... :D

theboz

Reaction score
Nice White Perch Marco! The heck with the first bass they're sluggish now anyway ! WPs this time of year are a blast on s 5 wt and if you fish where I do Brookies ( Salters) can be an added bonus. Never can understand why more fly guys in NY , NJ and NE don't target them they are a blast!
Always have the spots to myself!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Nice White Perch Marco! The heck with the first bass they're sluggish now anyway ! WPs this time of year are a blast on s 5 wt and if you fish where I do Brookies ( Salters) can be an added bonus. Never can understand why more fly guys in NY , NJ and NE don't target them they are a blast!
Always have the spots to myself!
I was on the beach this morning. Plenty of guys dunking clams, a few fly guys lurking around like vultures waiting to pounce on any action that might come up. Everyone's got the itch so bad they're not even thinking about other species. I lost my WP spot a few years ago when the ocean broke the sea wall and took the pond out with it :(.

theboz

Reaction score
That's pretty much what Sandy did to my North Shore spot. But Im not sure if its entirely a loss. For one the Stripers should come into it now as its a bait flusher and its quite long and the far end is an estuary with some freshwater inlets. By late spring I should have it figured out, who knows it may be better than before! Were the clam dunkers popping any fish?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
That's pretty much what Sandy did to my North Shore spot. But Im not sure if its entirely a loss. For one the Stripers should come into it now as its a bait flusher and its quite long and the far end is an estuary with some freshwater inlets. By late spring I should have it figured out, who knows it may be better than before! Were the clam dunkers popping any fish?
A few here and there. The action has been better in AC, they're taking their time swimming out.