1 free day in NewYork, where to fish?

romanl

Reaction score
so i actually grew up in NYC since i was 15, but at around 21 i moved across country to UT, CA and now in CO
anyways since i've started Fly Fishing, this is going to be my first trip back home where ill have some free time, and i would like to go Fly Fishing
my family lives in Queens , i will have a car.
and i wouldn't mind driving upstate an hour or two for some good fishing.

any locals that can point me in the right direction (easy access spots would be best) would be greatly appreciated.

also, should i bring my waders and boots?
and i have 5wt and 3wt, im guessing 5wt is the only way to go this time of year?
all nymphs? or dry? streamers?

o and just in case anyone wants to invite me for a tag along, i can fish any of the following 3 days (need to be back in the city by evening) March 28, 29 or 30

thanks

theboz

Reaction score
Queens? Don't kill your one day driving upstate ! Hop on the Grand Central to the Northern State get off on Sunken Meadow pky. One hour tops ! Go south and you go to the Connetquot , go north and you get to the Nissequoge.
I was at the Conny on Thursday caught 7 Salters( sea run Brook Trout ) in less than 2 hours. If you want anymore specifics PM me. Plus going out on the island as opposed to upstate you beat the traffic both ways! End of March is prime time on both these streams!

romanl

Reaction score
^^ thanks
i've never fished salt waters, and didnt even thing any trout fishing would be possible on Long Island.
ill be staying in Garden City (my sister lives there) so its even closer vs Queens,
ill have to do a bit more research.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

i also just called one of the ORVIS stores just outside NYC, and their fishing manager was very helpful
recommended:
Croton Water Shen on NY side, and
Merry Brook section in CT near Stanford CT
both are with in 1 hr of NYC, so i think ill try to head that way.
if anyone is from that area and can name few roads/streets/spots so i can narrow down fishing spots, would be great
thanks

theboz

Reaction score
Garden City , my brother is the biggest landscaper in the town ! Your 30 to 45 minutes from both rivers. Also you have a bunch of stocked lakes within a 10 minute ride or all the sw you could ever need!Lot of fly guys in GC also!

fishyhands

Reaction score
Causeway said the truck hit Eastern Nassau and Western Suffolk. Didn't see them in Hempstead today but did have fun playing with the pickerels. Some sort of hatch was going on too, did hear the dog walkers complain about having to walk around with their mouths shut. The NYS DEC posts a list of lakes on the Island that are stocked, and gives some very good intel on how to fish them.

If you consider CT, just remember you need to get a license and there's only a very few spots that are open this time of year. And they do enforce. There was a very good shop in Darien (Complete Angler?) who can get you some great info and get you a license. I'm not familar with the Merry Brook(?), but I do have a faint memory of the Mianus River being one of the few exceptions which would be legal for this time of year, which is before Stamford, but I'd check with a shop in CT.

I'd also advise staying on the Island, as the trip up the turnpike or the Hutch is both $$ and frought with delays. Borrow someone's EZ Pass just for time time savings if you do go. Look for one of the lakes mentioned earlier or in the DEC page. If you don't get trout, you'll probably get something else. Good luck!