New to fly fishing

zarkhd

Reaction score
Hello all, i'm new to fly fishing, had 2 trips to Croton river so far, and had no luck landing a fish (((
i was wondering if anyone is offering guided tours and lessons around New York City area... (50 mile driving distance)

would appreciate any help i can get. Thank you in advance.

Walter1023

Reaction score
Don't feel bad if you don't catch anything initially.....the croton is a wonderful river system but dependent upon the conditions and which particular river you went to...it can be tough - it is a tailwater fishery. I've been an addicted diehard since the late 90's and have spent considerable time on just about every river within this vast system. a few thoughts for you 1) you can go on the Croton chapter of TU's website and for $15 buy their guide to flyfishing the croton watershed .......you'd have to spend a lifetime acquiring most of the info they provide to you 2) The Angler's Den in Pawling, NY (google them) offers guided trips on the croton system 3) stay connected to this site......you have experts with years of experience willing to help. I used to fire off tons of questions and the assistance I got was awesome. 4) feel free to PM me with any specifics I love the croton watershed....and also the Housatonic and farmington Rivers in Ct. When i feel like driving more the catskills (Beaverkill and Upper Delaware River) come into play also I'm always happy to help any new fly fisher get even more involved in the greatest sport/ hobby/ past time that mankind has ever seen !!!!!!!!!!!!

joebloe

Reaction score
check out the Bedford Sportsman as well - also the Mianus River over in Greenwich CT (close) gets heavily stocked this time of year with some good size fish - easy fishing on a nice river, despite the 'dog park' aspect - you'll need a CT fishing license, though.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Zark: Welcome to the forum! I can't provide much help with that area, but it looks like you got some good advice from the others, best of luck with your progress in fly fishing, don't hesitate to ask questions.