Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

1. Default Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

Hello All,
    I have a guided trip scheduled for a few weeks from now (early spring) on the West Branch of the Delaware.
    My question is what to do for the non-guided first day of my trip. I can stay in Hancock area and fish an area of the Delaware system or stay over in Roscoe area and fish over there.
    Only requirement is to find a "beginner friendly" area since I am still on the learning end of this sport.
    Also advice on accommodations etc. are much appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

When I was there I stayed at the Neversink Campground, and can heartily recommend it if you feel like camping. From there, it's a quick shot to Roscoe. I've only been once but if you go to the stores around the area you should have some luck. There was a place near an overpass that was good... sorry I can't be more descriptive :/

I would recommend styaying in Rosco for the 1st day. You can fish either the Beaverkill or the Willawomac. Take a trip to the Fly Fishing Museum as well. It sits right on the Willawomac.

4. Default Re: Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

Quote Originally Posted by mattwolf View Post
    I would recommend styaying in Rosco for the 1st day. You can fish either the Beaverkill or the Willawomac. Take a trip to the Fly Fishing Museum as well. It sits right on the Willawomac.
    that is the plan

5. Default Re: Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

i think thats a good plan as well the museum is very cool and the access and fishing on the beaverkill and willow is a lot more forgiving than tring to figure the west especially the east on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by rawtrout View Post
    that is the plan
    Oh good, totally forgot to mention that! Yes, the museum is great. My non-fishing girlfriend enjoyed it as well, actually.

7. Default Re: Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

I've also heard that some of the public access up that way on the Willowemoc is less crowded. I am not looking for a secret spot but the hendricksons are going to hatch any minute and I don't want to be in the middle of a frenzy since I am (how do I put it nicely) still on the learning end of things and don't like getting in people's way. My semi-informed guess is that the famous pools of the beaverkill and lower willowemoc are going to be very crowded this week.