How long do you wait to fish after lots of Rain?

gzarboni

Reaction score
I live in the Adirondacks. We have been hammered with rain and Snow. Yes Snow, Lake Placid got 32" of the white stuff! We got about 8" of rain in my area and the rivers are really moving. My question is how does this affect the trout and how long before we can fish again?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The same thing happened last year about this time (only without the snow :eek:) It's gonna take at least a week before the water levels drop.
Remember that the trout don't like this either and they'll move to where they're more comfortable with the flow. Look for them on the quiet side of seams, away from the fast water.
From reports that I've read lake and pond fishing were outstanding this past weekend during the worst of it. All you had to do was keep your boat upright :D

plecain

Reaction score
I fished all through the pouring rain in the Northeast. The fishing was outstanding.

As RipTide says, the fish move to the edges and eddies of streams, but they're still hungry.

gzarboni

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have spoke to people at work and they all said that fishing is out of the question for the next week or 2. I will be on the water tomorrow morning.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Just be safe! No fishing is worth losing your life over. Some places I've fished the water gets so high & muddy, it's dangerous. Otherwise, as has been said, the edges are worth trying. Try something large, like a streamer. Baitfishes & smaller fish will be taking refuge too!

Feeder streams can also be good, as they'll often not be as affected by the rains as a main stem of a river might. :)

gzarboni

Reaction score
Thanks BigJim. I am new to the sport and walking with waders is hard enough in calm water. I have a wife and 3 boys who want me home safe as well. Thanks again.

bear 007

Reaction score
Up here we got 4-5 inches of rain no snow:). Yesterday I hit one of the lake thoroughfares in the area, the water was high but not muddy perfect for Landlocked Salmon. Like the others said, the fish were on the edges, nothing huge but they where hungry.