Maine and VT rivers?

4wt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm putting together my game plan for the year, having already executed a few moves. I know I want to try one place in VT and one place in ME but I'm not familiar with rivers or streams that are best there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

flyfishmich

Reaction score
I was in Maine this last fall-most inland rivers/streams and lakes are closed after Sept 30th. So figure that your trip.

I was guided to a stretch that was open to catch and release only but that is all I was going to do. The stretch I was on was the Grand Lake Stream. About 3 hours from Bar Harbor. Take food and a full tank of gas. Nice scenery but there's not much there. At least I didn't explore around to find anything. Crystal clear water nice holes and riffles. If you start at the dam make sure you are down stream from the red markers-must stay 150 feet from the dam. Water by the dam is deep as hell so no falling off the rocks there.
There you will find small-ish small mouth-very athletic and fun to catch
Brookies, and Land Locked Atlantic salmon. You see them sitting on the gravel-but they see you-and you are not the first guy throwing flies at them-but I had success. there's lots of room-about 3 miles of stream. Pay close attention to the bridge downstream from the dam-nice hole in that area not telling you which one.

There is a fly to use though. Funny thing is I ran into an older guy who was friendly and chatty. I was using a olive bead head wooly-he said here try this. It was a similar bead head wooly but had a little shimmer on it. He called it the Golden Retriever-you can buy them online from shops on the east coast. Its his fly he invented it and another guy ties them and sells the. anyway, he gave one to me and I started to catch the Atlantics on it. funny-it was really close to the olive wooly I was using-but the fishing was better with the golden retriever.

that's all I have. Have a great time and watch for moose. I never saw one but they are there.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

by the way. If you end up gong to Bar Harbor check out Pat's Pizza-best food we had while we were there.

stanbiker

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out the Kennebec or the WB Penobscot in Maine. I've only fished the Andro once, but it seemed like you really would want to float it.

bear 007

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Vermont but Maine's a big State, it depends on the time of year and how far North or west you want to go. If I where coming to Maine to fish I guess I would probably hit up Baxter State Park, there are all kinds of small streams and brooks in the area. The Park also has allot of small walk in lakes with canoes available for a small rental fee, its a perfect area for float tubes. The West branch of the Penobscott is on the southern end of the park and the East Branch on the North. The only thing is reserve your camping area in advance.

Here's a couple of shots from south branch pond campsite.

flyfishmich

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Vermont but Maine's a big State, it depends on the time of year and how far North or west you want to go. If I where coming to Maine to fish I guess I would probably hit up Baxter State Park, there are all kinds of small streams and brooks in the area. The Park also has allot of small walk in lakes with canoes available for a small rental fee, its a perfect area for float tubes. The West branch of the Penobscott is on the southern end of the park and the East Branch on the North. The only thing is reserve your camping area in advance.

Here's a couple of shots from south branch pond campsite.

that place looks amazing. I coming back and bringing my float tube.

4wt

Reaction score
Yeah the one problem with the Andro is that I'd be looking to wade. I can pretty much get anywhere, I just want to try different states and see new things.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
You might not want to wade the Andro anytime soon.
I drove by there yesterday and you could have surfed the Thirteen Miles Woods/Molidgewock CG section south of Errol NH. The Andro in Maine is an outstanding smallmouth fishery however if you have a boat
.....The Alderfly hatch is coming soon on that NH section. Brings the big fish up.

Vermont rivers got blown-out bigtime in Aug 2011 by tropical storm Irene. I'm sure that many rivers have not yet recovered in terms of bug and trout populations. I'd be sure of where I was going if I were you.
I used to regularly fish the White River system. It's a long un-damned river with at least 4 major tributaries.
The east branch of the Deerfield is a tailwater and so is decent in warm weather, plus you could fish down into Mass.
In the north I like the Lamoile .
There's a couple of others, but those are my secret :rolleyes:

That said, Vermont doesn't take care of their trout rivers like Maine does.
You want some nice trout fishing, go to Maine.
West to east and pretty much anywhere above I-95... all good.

Last edited:

nickj

Reaction score
I used to fish the White as well. Fishing for trout, when I'd tag a smallmouth I thought I'd tied into something serious, trout-wise. Strong fish, those river smallmouths.