Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Housatonic newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but been checking it out for a couple of weeks and have found a lot of great info. The second weekend in Oct. we're driving from Ohio to a wedding in Connecticut. We are spending our 1st. night at candlewood lake at my sister in laws apartment. Looking at the maps, West Cornwall looks fairly close. I figure we are going to have around 4 or 5 hours Saturday morning before we need to take off for Durham. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I mostly fly fish for small mouth but have some limited experience trout fishing in one of the very few trout streams in ohio. How's the morning bite on the Housatonic? What flies and sizes would you recommend for mid October? (I'll be using a 5wt. Rod with floating line.) Are there any good cafes or diners in the area we should try for lunch?

Thanks
    Jeff

Default Re: Housatonic newbie

That's a good time to be in southern New England.
    Expect peak foliage that weekend. The leaf peepers will be out in force.

If you're going to fish the Housatonic, the most prolific hatch will be size 24 olives. You may see size 18s as well along with size 14 slate drakes (isonychia). Maybe an odd yellow Sally (16).
    Midges and ants are always available.

Here's a good map
    http://hffa.net/wp-content/uploads/2...ap-650x867.jpg
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

3. Likes jpbfly, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Jeff.....hope you'll have a good time Housatonicthanks to Rip's advice

Good advice from Rip Tide. It should take you 30 to 40 minutes from Candlewood lake, straight up route 7.
    Having fished the Housy a few times now, all I would say is be careful wading. It can be very deceiving in parts. Saturdays are sure to be busy also. Go into the Fly shop in Cornwall Bridge, the guys there will set you right.
    Home Page ][ Housatonic River Outfitters ][ 860-672-1010
    They also have an app that will give you up to date reports, enjoy
    Eddie
    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation."
    Voltaire

I used to spend allot of time in Kent, just south of Cornwall, its been years but you should find all kinds of places to eat in Kent. There used to be a small fly shop somewhere around Housatonic Meadows on Rt. 7, I don't know if its still around but if it is I'm sure you could get some info there.

The drive to Cornwall will probably take you a little over an hour if she's on the southern end of Lake Candlewood, it is pretty country up around Kent and Cornwall.

Candlewood Lake used to have fish in it, like I said its been years since I've been down there, Connecticut has changed allot in 35 years or so.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
    I used to spend allot of time in Kent, just south of Cornwall, its been years but you should find all kinds of places to eat in Kent. There used to be a small fly shop somewhere around Housatonic Meadows on Rt. 7, I don't know if its still around but if it is I'm sure you could get some info there.
    The fly shop is still there, there is also another in Kent called Ripped Lips
    Eddie
    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation."
    Voltaire

Thanks for all the info so far. That map is great. My sister in laws apartment is off of 39 on the north east side, actually almost in the middle of the lake on one of the fingers. My new brother in law says he's caught exactly one fish off her landlord's dock. Sunday we are playing by ear but I'm hoping to get some time in then also.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
    Good advice from Rip Tide.
    Go into the Fly shop in Cornwall Bridge, the guys there will set you right.
    I'll second both of these!
    Cheers,
    --Rob

Got my gear all ready to go last night and we are leaving first thing Friday morning. Can't wait to get in the water on Saturday. I haven't been out in a few weeks and I'm itching just to cast and enjoy the scenery. Catching anything will be a bonus.

From yesterday's CT DEEP state fishing report

Housatonic River

Trout fishing should be good this weekend. There are plenty of recently stocked fish, flows have increased due to recent rains, but remain clear, moderate and very fishable (currently 481 cfs at Falls Village and 821 cfs at Gaylordsville) and water temperatures are currently in the mid 50s F (mornings, and rising some through the day).

Hatches/patterns include Blue Wing Olive (#18-26, early morning; spinner fall in evening), Leadwing Coachman (#10-14 evening) and Brown caddis (#14-16, early morning & evening), Sulfur (#16-18), Midges (#20-24) and Light Cahill (#12-14). Large streamers & nymphing the pockets, deeper riffles and pool heads should be productive
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

12. Likes bear 007, biggie_robs liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast