Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Squannacook report

Default Squannacook report

As my 1st year of fly fishing continues, with cooler weather I ventured out to the Squannacook for a few hours yesterday. My experience to date has been the Swift this Summer and the Assabet late spring.

I guess the Swift "training" paid off as I landed two Rainbows and had two other hookups. Very different experience as you can't see the fish and their is a lot of structure in the water. Good thing the water is low it would be tricky wading in deeper, faster water. Roll casts are necessary and, unlike the Swift, not much fishing pressure.

After trying a scud, BWO, and an ant, the San Juan worm did the trick, using an indicator and no split shot. Slow and shallow had the worm down on the bottom and it worked.

Nice to have a fall option much closer to home than the Swift although the fish I caught were smaller and not as good fighters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Squannacook report

Hi Springer,

I just came upon your post and although I am not familiar with these rivers & creeks I wanted to say hello.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Default Re: Squannacook report

Glad to hear you had a good time! I believe the Nissitissit was just stocked, that should be pretty close if the Squannacook is nearby.