Lake Placid / Saranac Lake area

802flyfish

Reaction score
Hello,

Every year we go to CAN-AM, it's the last weekend of July . It's a rugby tourney located in Saranac lake, NY. I usually stay on Mirror lake. I'd like to explore the area this year and get a few days of fishing in. I make the drive from central Vermont, I always see a ton of fly fisherman off the side of the road on the Ausable river. I would like to fish a more secluded area. Can anyone give me some river or streams for brook trout? Bringing along my 4wt. I know people don't like to disclose good spots in their area so I would be really appreciate if you would PM, if you don't want to post it on here.
Might have the money for a half day guide, so recommendations for guides would be great.
Thank you !

eastfly66

Reaction score
I fished up Wilmington/Ausable way back. Very pretty area. I remember being told there are quite a few remote ponds. I don't have info to offer b/c we started going to Pittsburg NH after that. I plan on going up again this June , I think the wife will enjoy that trip , there are things to do with her up there.

Good luck and have a good trip !

4wt

Reaction score
I try to go to Ausable once a year. If you hike down the river away from parking lots, you'll find areas to fish.

There are some backwoods spots but lips may be tight about them. Be sure to stop in to the Two Fly Shop! Great guys.

gzarboni

Reaction score
I live 45 mins from the Au Sable river. I can provide you with some great info. The Saranac river should not be over looked. There is the bouquet river also. Then you have the Salmon and trout rivers right in my back yard. Send me a pm and I can give you more details. Also get in touch with Tom of the Au Sable fly shop. Best guy around. He works with John ruff of ruff waters fly fishing. You can also try Wiley's flies, the owner is world renown tier Vince Wilcox. I would be able to spend the day with you also if it plays out right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastfly66

Reaction score
I live 45 mins from the Au Sable river. I can provide you with some great info. The Saranac river should not be over looked. There is the bouquet river also. Then you have the Salmon and trout rivers right in my back yard. Send me a pm and I can give you more details. Also get in touch with Tom of the Au Sable fly shop. Best guy around. He works with John ruff of ruff waters fly fishing. You can also try Wiley's flies, the owner is world renown tier Vince Wilcox. I would be able to spend the day with you also if it plays out right.

When I was up there it was some time ago. I remember Fran Betters had a shop there that has since been sold I believe ? There was a diner across the way from the Wilderness Inn that made a killer B-fast , are they still there ?

gzarboni

Reaction score
Fran Betters original shop is in ruins. The place is up for auction. All kinds of issues with who owns the land. Fran's 2nd location is now called up the creek and currently is getting renovated. The place is a restaurant with cabins in the back for rental and a soon to be bike shop. I can't think of the name but yes the diner is still there.

4wt

Reaction score
I think you might be talking about the Hungry Trout... better places to be had IMO.

gzarboni

Reaction score
The hungry trout has changed a lot. There is a lodge/cabins and restaurant and now a fly shop. The diner that used to be attached to Fran's place is what eastfly66 was asking about. I believe the name is up the creek the Hungry trout was never a diner always a pretty fancy restaurant.

eastfly66

Reaction score
That is correct. I know the Hungry Trout , that is a different place than I am thinking. I liked the fishing up there , lots of pocket water. Pretty cheap to stay too ! I thought Fran Betters passed away ?

gzarboni

Reaction score
Yes, Fran Betters passed away in 2009. You are also correct about the pocket water. The scenery is amazing to!

eastfly66

Reaction score
Is there any more effective ways of fishing the Ausable/ pocket water up there.
I fish a lot of pocket water 802 and actually prefer it. I do a lot of high sticking and long line nymphing with a indy (NZ strike my favorite now). of course if there is a hatch I go for the drys. I don't seem to do well with streamers unless I dead drift em , but that is just me. I like what Dave Whitlock says " if your not ticking the bottom and losing a few flies , your not deep enough"

gzarboni

Reaction score
The locals around the Au Sable also use nymphs as eastfly has mentioned. But I would like to suggest that you also use the adirondack patterns like the haystack, and the usual. The Au Sable bomber and the Au Sable wulff. They are great in the fast turbulent waters of the Au Sable river. Just my 2 cents.

I don't have any more usual flies left as they go fast. But it is definitely a very under rated highly effective fly. I will tie some up in the morning and post a pic.
Glen

pm287

Reaction score
The wife and I made an East trip from home in Indianapolis to Vermont and the Lake Placid last summer. We had a quick stay in Vermont with rain but we both fell in love with Lake Placid. Lake Placid had the combination for both of us, the Olympic village for her and Fly Fishing for me. Being a beginner on river fishing it was a rewarding challenge for me. Only landed one Brown but it was fun. It was so good we are going back to Lake Placid and Vermont the first of July. We are both looking forward to the trip. So these comments will help me plan my days fishing.

gzarboni

Reaction score
That's great. If you need any thing else please let me know. I will be glad to help out. If you guys are there on the forth of July, Saranac lake puts on an awesome fireworks display right on the water, also there is a great parade in the town of lake placid.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I believe a couple of those are Fran Better's patterns if my memory is correct ?

Was not the "Picket Pin" one of his favorites also for the Ausable ?

802flyfish

Reaction score
Great information here. Hope to get on the saranac as well, everyone seemes concentrated on the ausable.

eastfly66

Reaction score
802 & Gzaboni,

You guys got me remembering how much I liked fishing the area I decided to make a trip back. The nice thing about it is I can plan a trip with the wife and there are plenty of things for her/us to do when I am not on the water. I took her up to Pittsburgh N.H. one time and that was a MAJOR mistake ! That relax and read a book thing only goes so far .......

Also, added to my list from another thread here is West Canada Creek , found a nice campground on the river there. I wish a purchased the lifetime license back in the 80's when I lived in Cortland NY. ! (Another one of my MAJOR mistakes ). :)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Hope to get on the saranac as well, everyone seemes concentrated on the ausable.
My fishing partner went to school at Paul Smith's and lived in Saranac Lake, so back in the olden days I fished around there often.
However I don't remember us fishing the Ausable even once. :cool: