Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Suggestions for the adirondaks

Well, ill be headed back to school in Vermont shortly and usually take my time getting there from here in ohio. I want to spend a few days fishing in the adirondaks and wanted to know if anyone has some favorite rivers or suggestions for my trip. Ide like to get off the beaten path in the middle of nowhere! And would love to have to hike in to get to some trout. Thanks in advance!

2. Default Re: Suggestions for the adirondaks

I was just there.

West Canada Lake Wilderness if you're up for challenge.
    Pick a likely looking pond or lake on a map. Hike in with a float tube and bug spray. Fish. Camp. Hike out.

Default Re: Suggestions for the adirondaks

That sounds great, is the a preferred place to park and leave a car there?

4. Default Re: Suggestions for the adirondaks

It's a big area.

Try here: Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks - Adirondack Forum

Or get in touch with a fly shop and ask: Home / AuSable River Two Fly Shop

Highly, highly recommend the Two Fly Shop. They know what they're doing and a lot of Fran Betters disciples hang out there. They keep the faith alive.

Did you leave yet?

7. Default Re: Suggestions for the adirondaks

I highly recommend that you check out the hungry trout fly shop they have the nicest people in there and they will tell you everything you need to know and will send you off to a great spot. I also recommend fishing at the bottom of whiteface moutain right under the bridge from there to 200 yards downstream the fishing is great and a chance to catch big browns brookies and rainbows. Right where the little feeder creek comes in you will find the most numerous brookies and down stream a lot of nice rainbows and under the bridge mostly browns -good luck and enjoy

8. Default Re: Suggestions for the adirondaks

Hey guys,
    I live in Saranac Lake and fish the Heart of the Adirondacks extensively. While some locals wouldn't consider the AuSable to be incredibly remote, it is your best and most consistent trout fishery in the area. With fall already on it's way, the fishing has been incredible the last two weeks. I caught my personal best brownie three nights ago under the bridge at whiteface mountain, a 25"er. I would recommend spending your time on the Ausable if you're going to be in the area for a day or two. Great fishing from above the ski jumps to below the damn and in Jay provide I think something like 14 miles of superb fishing. The guys at the Hungry Trout fly shop- Evan especially - can really hook you up if that's what you're interested in.
    Thanks,
    Jack.