Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Solon, Maine

Default Solon, Maine

Are there any fly shops near Solon, Maine?

Default Re: Solon, Maine

There's the Maine Guide Fly Shop in Greenville, at "the bottom" of Moosehead Lake.
    But on the drive up, you'll pass Kittery Trading Post (Kittery) and LLBean (Freeport) which are both a short hop off the interstate

Are you going to Evergreens Campground ?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Thanks Rip, I will keep an open for the shop in Kittery. Not sure where Moosehead Lake is, but if I am near, I will stop there too. I will need some "correct" flies. I am staying at a friend's cabin on Embden Pond. I have been advised to get a sink tip line. Any suggestions you can give me for fishing in the area - or places to go would be appreciated. Since I have never been there before, any information would be good.

Moosehead/Greenville is probably 80-90 minutes to the north but that's the closest shop and it's a good one.
    Most people that go to Solon to fish are there for the float that begins at the campground.
    It's an easy float that you can do in a canoe. The campground does a shuttle.
    Kennebec River Browns - Fly Fisherman
    The guy that wrote this article used to have a fly shop in the area but I haven't seen it open in a few years.

As for pond flies, a lot depends on when you'll be there. Embden is a big deep "pond" and it looks like early season, before the water warms, you can expect salmon, brookies and even lake trout, but once the water warms, and I'm talking just a little ( first week of June ?), it will be mostly smallmouth
    Looks like there's a variety of baits too. Smelt, shiners, dace. I'd bet on a large number of leaches as well
    As for bugs, where I fish it's the dragon fly nymphs that really get the fish moving as do Hex nymphs toward the beginning of July
    http://www.state.me.us/ifw/fishing/l...mbden_pond.pdf

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-20-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Thank you very much for the information, Rip. I will be there early season (May 6-13). I was told there is some wading to be done at the bridge in Solon, and to bring a sink tip line.

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    I will be there early season (May 6-13).
    Then you're talking salmon and smelt flies.
    Many of the traditional NewEngland streamers are smelt imitations and a lot of the lakes have their own variations.
    Rainbow smelt are colorful, lots of purples and pinks but those colors look different under different conditions so a fancy grey ghost isn't necessarily a better fly than a simple bucktail.
    What's important is that they either have an extra long shank or a tandem hook for trolling
    You'll find that there's dozens of patterns to choose from

That is why I want to go to some local fly shops. I can't tie those beautiful Atlantic salmon flies. I do have access to a boat with a trolling motor on Embden Pond. This is my first trip where fishing is the focus. I start next week on the AuSable River (in Michigan) and then on to Maine. And I am really getting excited.

Eldredge Bros fly shop on route 1 in Cape Neddick is worth the short drive off the interstate to get there. Jim will get you set up with flies. I'd much rather support a small fly shop rather than a big store, better service too.

+1 for Eldredge Brothers, KTP, and LL Bean. Eldredge is a very well-stocked and well-informed independent fly shop. KTP is a big independent outdoor-sports store with an excellent fly fishing department (think of a folksier Bass Pro or Cabela's with less glitz and better selection and staff, especially in the fly fishing department); being located right at the first exit in Maine, they capture a lot of the vacation traffic entering the state and are usually very good at giving advice about anywhere you might be going. LL Bean is, well, LL Bean, and a worthwhile destination in itself just because it is; that their fly fishing department is so comprehensive too is just icing on the cake. (Despite their more recent success selling casual sportswear, they have never abandoned their original identity as a hunting/fishing/camping outfitter.)

If you are looking to do more shopping than just for fishing gear, both Kittery and Freeport are full of "outlet" stores and shopping centers selling all kinds of name-brand stuff, often overstock or closeouts -- just google "Kittery outlets" or "Freeport outlets" and see what comes up.

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    Thank you very much for the information, Rip. I will be there early season (May 6-13). I was told there is some wading to be done at the bridge in Solon, and to bring a sink tip line.
    Get a copy of this book and read the chapters on spring fishing:

https://wildadvpress.com/v3/index.ph...lands-seasons/

And in addition to streamers, tie up some sucker spawn flies:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=sucker+spawn
    Last edited by moucheur2003; 04-30-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks Moucheur, I appreciate the information. I just found out that Embden Pond cleared of ice late this last week!