dharkin

Reaction score
DEERFIELD RIVER WATERSHED CHAPTER
Mailing address: PO BOX 133 SHELBURNE FALLS, MA. 01370
Deerfield River Trout Unlimited Hosting Annual 'Single Fly' Event

For Immediate Release Contact: Michael Vito
Phone: (763) 221-4233

Phone: (413) 325-1710

The Deerfield River Watershed's Chapter of Trout Unlimited is holding its annual "Single-Fly" Fundraising Tournament the weekend of June 3 & 4, 2017. Participants will test their skill by using a single-fly pattern (three duplicate copies are allowed) of their choice, for the entire weekend. The event is open to all ages and skill levels and participants can fish along any section of the Deerfield River.

The "Single-Fly" coincides with the state's "Free Fishing Weekend," meaning that fishing licenses are not required, but that all other rules and regulations set by the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife must be strictly observed. The "Single-Fly" is also a "Catch & Release" event, adhering to Trout Unlimited's conservation philosophy of releasing fish to allow other anglers the enjoyment of catching them.

The entry fee is $35.00 and all proceeds will help fund Trout Unlimited's local land and coldwater fisheries conservation efforts. Pre-Registration is available at event sponsors: Deerfield Fly Shop, 8 Elm Street, South Deerfield, MA and Overwatch Outpost, 97 Main Street, (Route 2) Charlemont, MA. Anglers can also register on the day of the event at the Zoar Picnic Grounds from 6:30 AM till Noon on Saturday, June 3rd. Further details can be found on the Trout Unlimited Website: Deerfield River Watershed Trout Unlimited | Chapter 349.

The tournament will end with a picnic as the Zoar Picnic Area, on Zoar Road in Charlemont, on Sunday at 6:00 PM, and a subsequent drawing for prizes donated by all event sponsors that also include Cabelas, and local fishing guide services.

Also on Saturday morning, a companion event, Spey Day, will offer anglers the opportunity to explore and learn about spey casting from 9 am to 3:30 pm. Master Spey Caster and Instructor Walt Geryk will be on hand to teach the basics of Spey Casting, which is growing in popularity among many fly anglers. Proceeds from Spey Day will benefit Reel Recovery, a non-profit organization that conducts free fly-fishing retreats for anglers recovering from all forms of cancer.

SRP99

Reaction score
Does anyone know who won, and what fly they used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
The original "One Fly" contest is the Jackson Hole One Fly Contest which began in 1986. In this even, you only get one fly and if you lose it on a snag or fish, you must stop fishing.

There is a fly that was so successful that it won the event three years in a row (1992, 1993, 1993) and was forever banned = Scott Sanchez's Double Bunny streamer. No other fly has won it more than once.

Sanchez has designed another fly for the tournament called the Convertible that can be trimmed into multiple different flies depending on what is happening. It could be a consideration for OP's event.

Scott Sanchez says that flies for a one fly contest take a lot of time to tie. Pick a pattern that is made of durable materials. Use strong thread, double hitch and glue at every step of construction and glue the head so the thread cannot unwrap.

Here are the flies that won the Jackson Hole One Fly.

timoteo

Reaction score
For me fly fishing is a contemplative, low stress, non-competitive pursuit.
Thus, a fly-fishing CONTEST is obscene to me.
My opinion.

Acheron

Reaction score
I've never done fly fishing comp but I've done others and it can be exactly what you say but add in super fun comradarie, learning a lot, and having an overall good time with other like-minded people.

Don't get me wrong, the overly competitive group, of which I would have been when I was youger, is there too...enjoying it in their way. That doesn't mean it's the only way to enjoy it.

Plus the proceeds go to good causes. The only "competitions", if we can even call them that, which I have participated in were for things like Wounded Warrior or other good causes, which usually brings out a completely different crowd than say...a walleye tourny on the great lakes (https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/walleye-not-fly-fishing.927479/)

silver creek

Reaction score
Competitions improve the sport.

For example, the double haul was introduced by Marvin Hedge in a casting competition in 1934 which helped to spread this advancement in casting.

Fly Fishing competitions led to the development and spread of direct line nymphing. Vladi Trzebunia single handedly won the World Chanpionship for Poland in 1989 and nymphing han never been the same.

"Not only did Trzebunia and Poland win the title, he individually compiled more points than the next three national teams."

Sometimes it works the other way. I think commercial shooting head fly lines were the result of fly fishers cutting up DT fly lines and adding "running line" to increase casting distance to catch fish that could not be reached with DT fly lines.

Last edited:

prj71

Reaction score
My opinion.
Agree. Save competition for kicking or throwing a ball around or turning left all day long on the track.

timoteo

Reaction score
My opinion.
My choice of the word OBSCENE may be a little strong- apologies if I offended anyone.
But you get how I feel about this.

timoteo

Reaction score
Competitions improve the sport.

For example, the double haul was introduced by Marvin Hedge in a casting competition in 1934 which helped to spread this advancement in casting.

Fly Fishing competitions led to the development and spread of direct line nymphing. Vladi Trzebunia single handedly won the World Chanpionship for Poland in 1989 and nymphing han never been the same.

"Not only did Trzebunia and Poland win the title, he individually compiled more points than the next three national teams."

Sometimes it works the other way. I think commercial shooting head fly lines were the result of fly fishers cutting up DT fly lines and adding "running line" to increase casting distance to catch fish that could not be reached with DT fly lines.
Interesting point of view.

prj71

Reaction score
We didn't need competition to invent double hauls and direct line nymphing. Those techniques (like many others) would have come about eventually.

The only competition should be you vs. fish. Not understanding why anyone wants / likes competition fly fishing. It doesn't belong and is the wrong approach to fly fishing. Must be an ego thing where someone feels the need to outfish, out tie, or out cast someone while fishing.

jpakstis

Reaction score
How about looking at it as a fundraiser instead of a competition? Since it is a fundraiser first and foremost.

prj71

Reaction score
If I had to pick one fly to use all day it would be a size 8 olive bead head wooly bugger. Probably the most consistent fly I have used over the years that works all year long except during a hatch.