Carmans River Long Island

stihlman

Reaction score
Greetings - I am routinely on LI for business, and love fishing the Carmans. That being said, I haven't had a lot of luck, nor have I been in about a month.

Has anyone had any luck? I typically fish the 2nd or 3rd blind. Any thoughts on different blinds or what flies are good at this time? Thx, B

fc1955

Reaction score
I haven't been there in years ever since the fishing kind of died out there, when the State stopped stocking there. Conetquot is open and has tons of fish there. I heard Cold Spring Harbor hatchery was getting rid of a lot fish so they were put there. The Carmens was once a well known natural brook trout river at one time and was better at the upper stretches. In the Long Island rivers anything you throw there catches fish.

stihlman

Reaction score
Thanks, fc. I have read a lot about Conetquot but I can't get passed their system. Maybe it is me but it seems foolish. I want to come to a river and fish where I want and when I want. Maybe my myopic viewpoint is keeping me from catching some great fish.

fc1955

Reaction score
I don't like their system either, they do it because of the amount of people that want to fish it. They went back to three sessions but raised the price to fish to 25.00. I call it not real fishing, but just a place to get away for a few hours. The fish there will bite anything, it's a good place to get someone interested and started in fly fishing.