New Jersey Fly Fishing Salt Water

ontheflygal08

Reaction score
Hi all- I am fairly new to fly fishing and I started with pan fish and bass, with a little bit of trout. Anyone from NJ that has experience salt water fly fishing?

My goal is to land some fish with my 8 wt rod preferably stripers or blues. I am not sure how common it is to hook up to a flounder/fluke.

Any tidbits would be appreciated! Line, rod, reel, fly use etc...:)

jaywar

Reaction score
I dabble in the salt , but if your from NJ , even though it's trout unlimited, lots of those guys hit the salt . Its a great place to pick someones brain .My local chapter has 2 guys who are very knowledgeable.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My goal is to land some fish with my 8 wt rod preferably stripers or blues. I am not sure how common it is to hook up to a flounder/fluke.

Any tidbits would be appreciated! Line, rod, reel, fly use etc...:)
I've caught fluke in the surf here in CT just about this time of year
When the young of the year menhaden (peanut bunker) are in close, fluke (summer flounder) will be right there in the wash following the schools

Most people here in the northeast like a 9wt rod with an intermediate line.
I usually fish an 8wt rod, overlined with 9 to 11wt floating lines myself, but I'm not normal :cool:

Here's a little write-up on gear by a member from Long Island.
https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/.../173904-gear-fly-fishing-surf.html#post303976

JoJer

Reaction score
The flies will be: peanut bunker, sand eels, shrimp, on a line that sinks. Maybe some poppers for the bay on a floating line.
When you check the tides, also look around for wind direction when you're deciding where to go.
South Jersey in the fall for Bluefish on the fly is the top of my bucket list.

There used to be some big-ass eels in Barnegat Bay.

Last time I was near south Jersey. I was told that a lot of the local fishery was still nonexistent due to Sandy. The live crabs I bought for dinner came from North Carolina.

philly

Reaction score
Depends where you are in NJ. I'm from Philly. I'm familiar with the area from Brigantine on south. I belong to the South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers. They meet at the Bay View Center in Ocean City on the Third Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. Like the Atlantic Salt Water Fly Rodders , they're a teaching club and work with various groups, including CFR, in the SJ area. They offer tying classes, casting instruction before meetings. Corson's Inlet State Park just outside Ocean City has a lot of beach and some access to sod banks. I haven't caught a flounder on the fly yet, I do have caught a few sea bass and sea robins, but you can certainly catch them. Right now with the ocean temps in the mid-70's fishing will be tough. Snapper blues should be around but they aren't much fun on an 8 wgt, though they are fun on a 5 or 6 wgt. Fishing should heat up as the peanut bunker and mullet start their fall migration in 6 to 8 weeks. Nothing wrong with an 8 wgt that should cover anything you're most likely to catch. Intermediate and a sinking line would be your best bet. If you don't tie your own flies, look for, Clousers, Surf Candies, Crease flies, Peanut bunker and mullet patterns. Most of my flies are between, 2 and 6 inches long. Best times to fish, two hours before and after the top and bottom of the tides. Even better if they occur at sunrise and sunset.