Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lake Placid in October

1. Default Lake Placid in October

Hi all - i'll be up in the Lake Placid / Saranac area in the coming days. This morning it was 36 degrees at sun up, so pretty chilly temps.

What wisdom do you all have in terms of best time of day to wet a line, and in terms of what kind of flys to use?

i am also thinking about getting into some of the smaller tributaries to the W. Branch... any suggestions?

I know big and ugly is generally the rule of thumb for the pocket water of the Ausable, but the cold temps make me think of micro nymphs... but i'm a newbie, so what do i know?

any and all thoughts appreciated!

Default Re: Lake Placid in October

This is a good resource - Fly Fishing On West Branch of the Ausable River.

Patterns - id say stick with nymphs late in season. Midges, searcher nymphs (copper johns, princes), caddis, and stonefly patterns. Have some streamers also and some sculpin patterns.

Smaller streams exist.... but the ones I fished were tiny. Brookies were there though....

It's beautiful there. Enjoy.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a giant crocodile that lives there!!!! They made a movie about it several years ago. Betty White used to live on that lake and feed it fresh cattle!!!! She's been long moved away so it's gotta be pretty hungry by now!!

Last edited by kevind62; 10-11-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"

I heard it was the ghost of dead skiers that haunt the fishermen. Or was it giant Bobcats, Hellbenders, Psycho Moose, Timber Wolves, leaf hatch every cast..... you name it it's there.

Too scary for me.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso