Getting someone started...

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have a brother in-law in CT that wants to get started fly fishing for trout. He is located in Southbury CT.

I am preparing him a get started package it includes:

- 9' 5wt tip flex Orvis Clearwater II rod
- Encounter reel with two spools one is a floating line with a furled leader and the other has an intermediate line with a hand tied 6' leader to 8lb test.
- Fly box with 60-70 flies. Dries in EHC, PMD, Adams, Royal Coachman, ants, beetles, gnats, plus several stimulaters and some madam X. Nymphs in zebra midge, copper john, stone flies, pheasant tails, prince nymphs, plus a bunch of wooly buggers.
- Orvis vest
- Gink floatant, dessicant powder, thingamabobbers, split shot.
- Nipper on a zinger, hemostat on a zinger.
- I put a piece of yarn on some 5x on the floating line for practice casting.
- Spools of 3x and 5x tippet.
Copy of the Curtis Creek Manifesto.

Anything else I should add or do you think that is good?

Any advice I can share with him?

Regards

Tim C.

philly

Reaction score
That's far more than I gave my niece when she showed an interest in learning how to fly fish. I bought her an Orvis rod and reel beginner's outfit and tied her some flies for Christmas. One thing I did give her as a birthday gift was a full day of casting instruction at the local fly shop taught by an Orvis/IFF certified instructor. Didn't see any sense in passing on my bad habits. Her boyfriend at the time was an avid fly fisher. They broke up several months later. Fortunately, the guy she married was also an avid fly fisher.

kevind62

Reaction score
You are doing your B-in-law a terrible injustice. From what I can see in your list he is not spending nearly enough money to get the full effect of the fly fishing bug. :D

whalensdad

Reaction score
I have a brother in-law in CT that wants to get started fly fishing for trout. He is located in Southbury CT.

I am preparing him a get started package it includes:

- 9' 5wt tip flex Orvis Clearwater II rod
- Encounter reel with two spools one is a floating line with a furled leader and the other has an intermediate line with a hand tied 6' leader to 8lb test.
- Fly box with 60-70 flies. Dries in EHC, PMD, Adams, Royal Coachman, ants, beetles, gnats, plus several stimulaters and some madam X. Nymphs in zebra midge, copper john, stone flies, pheasant tails, prince nymphs, plus a bunch of wooly buggers.
- Orvis vest
- Gink floatant, dessicant powder, thingamabobbers, split shot.
- Nipper on a zinger, hemostat on a zinger.
- I put a piece of yarn on some 5x on the floating line for practice casting.
- Spools of 3x and 5x tippet.
Copy of the Curtis Creek Manifesto.

Anything else I should add or do you think that is good?

Regards

Tim C.
If he's never cast a fly rod, then have him get involved with the nearest TU chapter or take a class. Videos only go so far. His local chapter is:
NAUGATUCK POMPERAUG CHAPTER - Home Trout Unlimited Naugatuck Pomperaug Chapter
Steve Farnam - President
safshelby@yahoo.com

Rip Tide

Reaction score

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Are you sure you don't want to get him some fish to go with everything else you got him? Or are you going to let him take care of that himself. :D

I think you did great, and got it pretty much covered. My advice, tell him straight away that we all get caught in the trees, so be patient and learn to laugh at yourself.

silver creek

Reaction score

Regards

Tim C.
Have him contact the Orvis store in Darien, Conn and get 2018 dates for the FREE Fly Fishing 101 Course. They fill up fast so have him sign up ASAP. He gets a free TU membership and coupons. Click on the link below and then on "Learn the Fly-Fishing Basics for Free."

Darien, Connecticut: Orvis Retail Store

tcorfey

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen, some great ideas I will pass along to him. He is retired and 70 years young. I hope he enjoys it as much as I do.

Always open to more info if you have it...

He did say that there is a fly fishing club in town, so I encouraged him to join them.

He will have to catch his own fish though :)

Regards,

Tim C.

Red Owl

Reaction score
It is really hard to overcome bad habits in casting SO BEFORE he even picks up the rod have him take good instruction from the get go. Being good at casting makes a huge difference in the enjoyment- not just distances but roll casting in thickets or curves, etc.
Another idea is sunfish. Most places you can chum them with bread to create a feeding frenzy, then cast in a white "bread" fly. You'll literally be catching fish after fish and that's a lot of experience in getting the fish on the reel, playing and landing it. Excellent training, then hit the trout streams.