Massachusetts in June

vaheelsfan

Reaction score
The freezing temperatures in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia have me stuck inside thinking about fishing destinations in the warmer weather months ahead. I'll be traveling to Massachusetts to visit the in-laws the first week of June and am looking for some new areas to fish. We'll likely be staying in West Brookfield but I'm open to doing a little driving. On past visits I've fished the Swift between Route 9 and the hatchery and am planning on exploring further downstream on this trip. I'm not sure if my fly fishing skills are good enough to catch the fish upstream of Route 9. I see the Ware and Quaboag rivers are close to where we'll be staying and are stocked but I'm not sure how good of options they are. The Deerfield and Westfield are two other rivers I've been trying to research. If anyone has any suggestions or pointers on any of those streams or any other general areas to look at they'd be greatly appreciated!

eastfly66

Reaction score
You probably will find it is about the same drive time from W. Brookfield to the Deerfield and it is to the Farmington in Conn.
I would put that on the top list too.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I recommend the Millers and the Westfield, both a a lot more wadeable compared to the Deerfield...though nothing comes close to the ease of the Swift. Farmington is also a great choice, just a different state and another license to buy.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
This small stream is near my camp and about 20 miles from W.Brookfield. (and that's a stream side bar ;))
I know some others too
PM me if you're interested. I won't be posting them in public

Last edited:

photoguy

Reaction score
The access to the Swift is very nice. Are water releases the main issue with wading the Deerfield?
I agree. I've heard it said that if Disney were to develop a trout river, it would be the Swift. :icon_lol:

I've fished the Deerfield a only few times and haven't had much luck there. I've read though where others have had good fishing. The first visit had really high flows. I should have known as I spotted the kayak trailers heading in the same direction as I was. On the second visit the flows were much less but we didn't see any fish and being accustomed to other places (like the Swift) I thought access was less than ideal. I always thought that if I went back, I'd try to do a float trip instead of wading.

vaheelsfan

Reaction score
A little late with this but my trip came and went so I thought I'd post a brief summary. We ended up staying with my brother-in-law who lives in Millbury. The only real fly fishing I did was the morning of 6/5 which I spent on the Quinapoxet. I walked in along Trout Brook and went downstream a ways and worked back up to the hole at the confluence of those two streams then fished a short way upstream from there. Caught a couple of chubs and spent the morning being swarmed by mosquitoes but nothing else really to report from that trip. On Wednesday I rented a boat and spent the day on Quabbin which was a very nice. Fished with conventional gear and caught a some nice smallies. Anyone ever had any luck fly fishing there? There was a guy at the boat ramp with a fly rod when I was unloading but I didn't get a chance to really talk to him. I had never been there and was unsure about fly fishing out of their boats but I had no trouble fishing standing up in them so I don't think it would be any problem.