Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  1

Default Massachusetts in June

The freezing temperatures in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia have me stuck inside thinking about fishing destinations in the warmer weather months ahead. I'll be traveling to Massachusetts to visit the in-laws the first week of June and am looking for some new areas to fish. We'll likely be staying in West Brookfield but I'm open to doing a little driving. On past visits I've fished the Swift between Route 9 and the hatchery and am planning on exploring further downstream on this trip. I'm not sure if my fly fishing skills are good enough to catch the fish upstream of Route 9. I see the Ware and Quaboag rivers are close to where we'll be staying and are stocked but I'm not sure how good of options they are. The Deerfield and Westfield are two other rivers I've been trying to research. If anyone has any suggestions or pointers on any of those streams or any other general areas to look at they'd be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Massachusetts in June

You probably will find it is about the same drive time from W. Brookfield to the Deerfield and it is to the Farmington in Conn.
    I would put that on the top list too.

3. Thanks vaheelsfan thanked for this post

I recommend the Millers and the Westfield, both a a lot more wadeable compared to the Deerfield...though nothing comes close to the ease of the Swift. Farmington is also a great choice, just a different state and another license to buy.
    "Work is what I do in between fishing trips."
    on Youtube at BlooMagooTV

5. Thanks vaheelsfan thanked for this post

Striper fishing in Cape Cod is often good in June.

7. Thanks vaheelsfan thanked for this post

This small stream is near my camp and about 20 miles from W.Brookfield. (and that's a stream side bar )
    I know some others too
    PM me if you're interested. I won't be posting them in public

Last edited by Rip Tide; 01-08-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

9. Thanks vaheelsfan thanked for this post
    Likes these go to 11 liked this post

Thank you all for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    You probably will find it is about the same drive time from W. Brookfield to the Deerfield and it is to the Farmington in Conn.
    I would put that on the top list too.
    I will look into that. I've heard of the Farmington but never really looked into it. From the little I've seen, it looks interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    Striper fishing in Cape Cod is often good in June.
    That would be really cool and I've always wanted to visit Cape Cod but I don't really have any saltwater gear or anything to go after stripers with. Maybe at some point in the future though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    This small stream is near my camp and about 20 miles from W.Brookfield. (and that's a stream side bar )
    I know some others too
    PM me if you're interested. I won't be posting them in public

That's something you don't see every day, interesting looking place for sure! I'll send you a PM, thank you for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
    I recommend the Millers and the Westfield, both a a lot more wadeable compared to the Deerfield...though nothing comes close to the ease of the Swift. Farmington is also a great choice, just a different state and another license to buy.
    The access to the Swift is very nice. Are water releases the main issue with wading the Deerfield?

Quote Originally Posted by vaheelsfan View Post
    The access to the Swift is very nice. Are water releases the main issue with wading the Deerfield?
    I agree. I've heard it said that if Disney were to develop a trout river, it would be the Swift.

I've fished the Deerfield a only few times and haven't had much luck there. I've read though where others have had good fishing. The first visit had really high flows. I should have known as I spotted the kayak trailers heading in the same direction as I was. On the second visit the flows were much less but we didn't see any fish and being accustomed to other places (like the Swift) I thought access was less than ideal. I always thought that if I went back, I'd try to do a float trip instead of wading.

15. Thanks vaheelsfan thanked for this post