Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default New Inland Regulations in CT

... including the trout stamp. .... necessary even for C&R in the TMAs.....

Inland Fisheries 2018 Regulation Update: Here is a very long post but gives you an update on today's events. In summary the proposed regulation package (including the trout and salmon stamp) was approved. It may take a few weeks to finish the process and for the new Regs to take effect.

The Fisheries regulations proposal that included a trout & salmon stamp was approved by the Legislature’s Regulation Review Committee (LRRC) at their meeting on Tuesday, 2/27. The new regulations will become effective once they are published on the eRegulations system by the Secretary of State’s office (SOTS). This will occur several days to a week or so after approval by LRRC as there are several additional steps required to formalize the regulations prior to posting by SOTS.

TROUT & SALMON STAMP
    A $5.00 trout & salmon stamp is required for any angler 16 years of age and older fishing in a Trout Management Area (TMA), Wild Trout Management Area (WTMA), Trout Park, or Atlantic Salmon Broodstock Area; or keeping trout, Kokanee Salmon or broodstock Atlantic Salmon anywhere statewide.

FARMINGTON RIVER TMA
    A small portion of the West Branch Farmington River in the Riverton area from the intersection of Hogback Road and Route 20 in Hartland downstream to the gas pipeline crossing approximately four-tenths miles downstream of the confluence with the Still River in Barkhamsted will now be closed to all fishing from April First to 6:00 am on the second Saturday in April.

MILL RIVER WTMA & MILL RIVER TMA (Easton-Fairfield)
    The Mill River WTMA is extended downstream to the Merritt Parkway and the Mill River TMA is now catch-and-release year round.

FISHING SEASONS
    Alexander Lake is open to fishing year round. Baldwins Pond and Green Falls Reservoir are open to fishing from 6:00 am Opening Day through the last day of February.

CATFISH
    There is now a creel limit of 6 Channel Catfish and White Catfish in aggregate per day, except in Beaver Park Lagoon, Birge Pond, Bunnells Pond, Center Springs Park Pond, Freshwater Pond, Keeney Park Pond, Lake Wintergreen, Lakewood Lake, Mirror Lake, Picketts Pond, Rowans Pond, Mohegan Park Pond and Stanley Quarter Pond where the creel limit is 3 catfish per day.

COMMON CARP
    There is now a creel limit of 5 common carp per day, with no more than 1 fish greater than 30 inches in length, except in Trophy Carp Waters.

TROPHY CARP WATERS
    Batterson Park Pond, Connecticut River (including the portions of tributaries open year-round), Squantz Pond and West Thompson Reservoir are designated as Trophy Carp Waters with a one carp per day creel limit and a 26 inch maximum length for Common Carp.

METHODS
    Tenkara fishing (a traditional Japanese methodof fly-fishing without a reel) is now allowed in fly fishing areas.

ATLANTIC SALMON BROODSTOCK AREAS
    The period when broodstock salmon gear restriction applies to all species in broodstock areas is now from September 1 to March 31 (inclusive).
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Default Re: New Inland Regulations in CT

A creel limit on carp? Please tell me no one is eating those things! They may be fun to catch, but I've never looked at one and thought that it looked tasty enough to eat.

3. Default Re: New Inland Regulations in CT

I ate some carp many years ago. Before I started FF. The fish was mild flavored. Adios Philip

4. Likes these go to 11 liked this post

Gefilte fish!

I bought my license in January and had to go to Town Hall yesterday to pony up the extra five bucks for the "stamp."

In theory the trout stamp will generate $X that will be dedicated to fisheries management. This money will not get sucked into the vortex of the General Fund.

Forgive me if I am skeptical.

Next up: DEEP announces the "Teacher Pension Fund and Trout Stamp."

6. Default Re: New Inland Regulations in CT

Patrick
    How dare one doubt the state for stating that stamp money will go to the deep.
    i was with the deep last week stocking a local pond and they "guaranteed" that the money will go to the fisheries. My response- they always say that and they always raid the funds
    nothing will make me believe anything different - I will be shocked if the money goes to fisheries.
    btw- i fished today in a private pond. all browns . catching stocked trout is no biggie but it was nice to get a tug or two .
    see you his season on the Hous.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick62 View Post
    Gefilte fish!

I bought my license in January and had to go to Town Hall yesterday to pony up the extra five bucks for the "stamp."

In theory the trout stamp will generate $X that will be dedicated to fisheries management. This money will not get sucked into the vortex of the General Fund.

Forgive me if I am skeptical.

Next up: DEEP announces the "Teacher Pension Fund and Trout Stamp."
    Wisconsin has had a Trout Stamp since at least the 70's when I moved to Wisconsin. It is supposed to pay to create and maintain trout streams including stream improvement projects. It is not supposed to be used to pay salaries of the DNR but that is what has happened. The fishing license and not the trout stamp is supposed to fund general fisheries but trout stamp money has been used for warm water resources which is more popular, such as walleye fisheries.

Trout stamp funds in Wisconsin is not even supposed to be used to stock trout since trout stocking was already being done BEFORE the trout stamp was instituted.

So you are right to be sceptical.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

In Connecticut, (or any other state I believe) if fishing and hunting licence and stamp fees are ever diverted to the General Fund from Wildlife and Fisheries, that would disqualify them from the Pittman- Roberson excise tax funds, ... and that's big time money.
    Here, the reimbursement from the marine gas tax alone is huge.
    It's never going to happen
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart