Fly fishing in Southern Maine

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I live in the greater Portland area and have been trying to find areas to fish. Well, to be quite honest I've been looking more for a place that I can practice casting more than catching fish. I obviously would like to have an opportunity to catch some trout but I'm really concerned with finding a spot that I'm not going to be wrecking trees left and right. I don't currently have waders but I'm looking into getting some so spots that I do and don't have to wade to be in would be ideal.

Anyways, not sure if I'll get any answers cause I know how it is telling people spots but I can only practice on grass for so long and the feeling is much different on the water.

Cheers!

plecain

Reaction score
Very near you are several rivers.
The Saco, the Presumpscot and the Royal all have trout and are big enough to avoid trees.
Soon you'll be able to 'wet wade' all three, so waders will be unnecessary until it gets cold again.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Very near you are several rivers.
The Saco, the Presumpscot and the Royal all have trout and are big enough to avoid trees.
Soon you'll be able to 'wet wade' all three, so waders will be unnecessary until it gets cold again.
I actually just fished the Royal the other day but I think I was in the wrong area. I've tried the Presumpscot in one spot but it was fairly difficult. Thanks!

stanbiker

Reaction score
You can also fish the pleasant river. The nonesuch in Scarborough has trout, but can be a little tight. The Piscatagua river in Cumberland is small, but there are brook trout that love a black ant.

Your best bet is to pick up a gazetteer and look for the small creeks and rivers.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score

Rip Tide

Reaction score
It's bad form to link to another forum, but you might want to read what they have to say about the Little O (and your other local rivers) on the maineflyfish site.