First fish on dry fly

atbuckhunter

Reaction score
Went out on Thursday to the willowemoc and a the beaverkill. I tried wets and nymphs, but I couldn’t manage anything so I switched between different drys. I finally found the right dry and caught about 8 or 9 Browns. First time dry fly fishing so it was pretty cool to catch them on top. I learned a lot that day. All the fish were around 12” but I did see some 18”+ fish on the beaverkill. I only casted to one of them before I had to leave and couldn’t get it to take. I did get one big hit on the soft hackles, but dries were the key. I’ll need to drop some cash on some more dries. I’ll take any suggestions on what I should get. I’m thinking some BWO, adams in different sizes and some more sulphurs. All but 2 were released. All are different fish.
IMG_7485.JPGIMG_7490.JPGIMG_7493.JPGIMG_7494.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Congrats! Nothing like your first fish on a dry!

Guessing that's some pretty skinny water.

Size 16 or 18 Para-Adams/BWO

Size 14 or 16 Stims, yellow or orange, don't be afraid to skate 'em if they won't take 'em on the drift. Browns will attack 'live' prey. Introducing some movement can make all the difference.

In the summer I like foam hoppers (Moorish, sz 10)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on your first fish on a dry!

We have a forum member here named Jerry (aka hairwing530), send him a pm on the dries you want, and he can offer up some additional suggestions, he is an excellent fly tier and offers some really good deals on his work, plus the proceeds help to support his fly tying classes for children with brain cancer, so the money goes to a very good cause.

dennyk

Reaction score
Nice going, fun day of fishing!

Don't forget ant patterns and as mentioned above hoppers for later this summer and early fall.

X2 on Jerry's flys!!

Denny