Four days to fish anywhere in Northeast this week...where would you go?

triocd

Reaction score
My wife and kids will be away this Thurs-Monday, so I'm looking to go fishing Thurs-Sat or Sunday. I'm near Boston but willing to go anywhere. Where would you go? Here's my criteria:

-Good population of wild trout
-Interested in a floatable river for my pontoon boat
-Good secluded tent camping sites nearby
-Been to the Delaware a few times and want to go back, but water is a little low
-Considering the Farmington because I know it well and it's consistent, but no floating
-Never fished Vermont, so I'm Vermont-curious
-Never fished Northern NH or parts or Maine...Considering Upper Connecticut, Andro, Kennebec, Saco
-Dries part of the day would be great
-No salt, I'll be on the coast in a couple weeks for vacation

I'm leaning towards the Delaware or Farmington but I'd love to explore somewhere new.

nnjrescue1

Reaction score
The west branch delaware is fishing well. It is in fine shape to float with a pontoon. You may walk it down a few low areas but it'll be worth it. And is likely going to be the only option in the system this weekend with the forecast heat. If I had 4 days by myself with my raft or pontoon, I would be there myself. Was up Sunday wading only and did very well on dries. If you need a shuttle call the Upper Delaware inn in Hancock and ask for Gene.

colonelklinkhammer

Reaction score
I live near Boston and if it were me I’d be headed to Rangeley or Moosehead area. The Deerfield and a few others in western Ma are not to be overlooked either there’s some slob Browns out there that the Harrison Brothers put clients on daily

nnjrescue1

Reaction score
Thats a good point. If I had 3-4 days I would probably try and get somewhere Im unable to if I only have a day or two. Head to the north country. Will probably be more comfortable temp wise for you up there anyway this weekend.

flytie09

Reaction score
Try the Adirondacks.....there are enough ponds with wild brookies to keep you busy for a lifetime. The Ausable River at the base of White Face Mountain outside Lake Placid is great for naturally reproducing browns and rainbows. Not really the safest to navigate, but is an awesome adventure.

Moose River in Old Forge and Saranac River in Saranac are others to explore. Just don't expect to hit all of these up in a long weekend as the Adirondacks are 6 million acres. I think the state of Vermont could fit inside (or pretty close) the park boundary.

Bring your bug juice, long sleeve shirt and head net. The mosquitos will be waiting for you and they're hungry.

ft09

triocd

Reaction score
The west branch delaware is fishing well. It is in fine shape to float with a pontoon. You may walk it down a few low areas but it'll be worth it. And is likely going to be the only option in the system this weekend with the forecast heat. If I had 4 days by myself with my raft or pontoon, I would be there myself. Was up Sunday wading only and did very well on dries. If you need a shuttle call the Upper Delaware inn in Hancock and ask for Gene.
Thanks for the positive feedback on the Delaware. I've only waded it so I'm anxious to float it. I was going to arrange a shuttle from OARS since that's the only shuttle service I found online, but if you recommend Gene I'll give him a call if I go there. Do you have a recommended float you like? Stilesville section or lower? I'm looking for a pretty long day. Will bring food and water, want to make it a good float or 2 since it's a long haul to get out there, set up the boat, and do the shuttle thing. Also, I'll be there Thursday-Saturday hopefully getting in just before the heat wave really takes hold. I want to float the Upper Main Stem even if the fishing might not be as good. I love the scenery with no houses on the banks, just a long corridor of river and trees.

I also want a very early morning stalking trout on the East Branch and throw some mice at dusk into the dark if I still have the energy.

triocd

Reaction score
I live near Boston and if it were me I’d be headed to Rangeley or Moosehead area. The Deerfield and a few others in western Ma are not to be overlooked either there’s some slob Browns out there that the Harrison Brothers put clients on daily
It's been a while since I was in the Rangeley area. I don't know why but I'm not really feeling it right now to head up there. I've only ever been in May though. I'll save the Deerfield and other choice slob fisheries for later in the year...those are my go to day trip rivers. Also, the Deerfield isn't pumping out a lot of water for floating right now.

triocd

Reaction score
Try the Adirondacks.....there are enough ponds with wild brookies to keep you busy for a lifetime. The Ausable River at the base of White Face Mountain outside Lake Placid is great for naturally reproducing browns and rainbows. Not really the safest to navigate, but is an awesome adventure.

Moose River in Old Forge and Saranac River in Saranac are others to explore. Just don't expect to hit all of these up in a long weekend as the Adirondacks are 6 million acres. I think the state of Vermont could fit inside (or pretty close) the park boundary.

Bring your bug juice, long sleeve shirt and head net. The mosquitos will be waiting for you and they're hungry.

ft09
Yes, I've been dreaming of the Adirondacks for a while. Fishing and hiking especially. My friend was there 2 weeks ago and caught a ton of browns on dries.

nnjrescue1

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive feedback on the Delaware. I've only waded it so I'm anxious to float it. I was going to arrange a shuttle from OARS since that's the only shuttle service I found online, but if you recommend Gene I'll give him a call if I go there. Do you have a recommended float you like? Stilesville section or lower? I'm looking for a pretty long day. Will bring food and water, want to make it a good float or 2 since it's a long haul to get out there, set up the boat, and do the shuttle thing. Also, I'll be there Thursday-Saturday hopefully getting in just before the heat wave really takes hold. I want to float the Upper Main Stem even if the fishing might not be as good. I love the scenery with no houses on the banks, just a long corridor of river and trees.

I also want a very early morning stalking trout on the East Branch and throw some mice at dusk into the dark if I still have the energy.
Nah - Gene is the way to go for a shuttle. I too found "oars" before I started regularly floating up there a few years ago but never used them. I only use Gene or if I am on the east branch i'll use Rob from the Beaver Del. Good to support the local guys.

Regarding floats - Keep it around 6 miles or less. Especially since you will be blessed with the upriver wind that so often starts up at the most inopportune time. Stilesville to Hale would be ok (6.5 miles). Hale eddy to balls eddy (5.5 miles). Balls eddy to Junction pool (5.5 miles). etc. All good pontoon floats on the West.

The upper main isn't as secluded as the lower main as far as scenery is concerned. It is beautiful though. I would say my favorite is the east branch for beauty, but will likely be WAY too hot (its already almost hit 80 degrees a week ago) to fish for trout even in the morning on the lower East. Floats are all pretty long for a pontoon too. A good 6 mile float on the main like you said is She to Buck...but honestly without rain its likely going to heat up pretty close to 70 this next week. So Before doing it I would drive down to Buckingham and take a temp reading. Below Buck is LONG water for pontoons and will be too warm for trout.

The upper east would be good early AM. And yea. I plan on staying late one night next week and mousing a bit. Still havent taken the time to do it.

If I could be any more help just ask. Have 70 miles on the system since the start of this season.

Walter1023

Reaction score
Considering I generally split my fly time between the Upper D and the Farmington........I strongly suggest the Upper D. This past Monday I was on the Farm but all past five Mondays before that I was on the Upper West. In terms of pontooning.....I've only been wading the D this year but have pontooned it previously and you do get to cover some nice water. The Farm is likely to be more packed....less solitude....and whilst you will catch more fish on the Farm.....nothing compares to the Upper D trout. Good luck which ever you choose.

triocd

Reaction score
Just an update...thanks to all of those who posted their feedback. I had it narrowed down to the Delaware or Kennebec, but the heatwave put me off camping for a few days and I ended up staying closer to home and getting a lot of work around the house done.

I ended up heading to the Farmington planning to camp one night. I was excited about streamer fishing because it was raining hard on the drive down there. Unfortunately, we got so much rain the river blew out. I caught one real nice brown on a streamer within my first 20 minutes, then a smaller fish a bit later. Then the action really died down as the river muddied and kept rising. I ended up not staying over and driving back in the evening.

Next day I drove to a spot In RI for some sight fishing to stripers. I caught my biggest striper on the fly yet, probably a keeper but he broke off as I was trying to lip him. Note to self...it’s really hard to land a striper in water when you can’t beach them. I need to work out a better strategy. He took one really nice run. Caught another one that was a decent schoolie. I saw tons of big fish but I scared most of them away. Great day.

Lastly, I headed to a beach in ma for some more sightfishing. Took me a couple hours but once I found them there were lots of fish. They weren’t really coming onto the flat but we’re staying right off the edge in 3-4 feet of water. I caught one schoolie, had some good follows, scared a bunch of fish, and cast to one cow but he was getting out of reach once I spotted him. Another great day. Weather back home was about 95 and humid but I was almost chilly wet wading on the north shore for 4 hours.

photoguy

Reaction score
Seems that your trip is likely past...curious where you ended up? I would have probably picked the East Outlet of the Kennebec though there are a few 'drops' along the way that probably exceed my skill level in boat handling. I've done it but with a guide which was perfect.

triocd

Reaction score
Seems that your trip is likely past...curious where you ended up? I would have probably picked the East Outlet of the Kennebec though there are a few 'drops' along the way that probably exceed my skill level in boat handling. I've done it but with a guide which was perfect.
See my update right above your post to see what I ended up doing

photoguy

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice trip by mixing it up.

For future reference as an fyi if it's of interest (and I only have minimal details at the moment) but my new friend at the Orvis store in Peabody has a trip to the Upper CT planned and through some organization that manages this has reserved primitive campsites along the river for a 3 day camping/fishing trip starting in the Pittsburg area and ending somewhere south. Sorry to be vague, he was giving me the details as I was on my way out of the store and by the time I got home I'd forgotten what the organization was.