Stony Clove Creek NY - Access

sjauch

Reaction score
I'm thinking of heading up to the Phoenicia area next weekend and was looking at the Stony Clove Creek. I've tried finding info if any sections of this are open to public fishing but haven't been successful. It looks like all the land it runs through along 214 is private. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Guess my alternative is Woodland Creek on the south side of Esopus. If any of the feeder streams into Woodland are worth checking out I'd love to do that too.

The third thing I was thinking was Kanape Brook before it becomes Bush Kill. I see there is trail head parking there so this is state land. Does anyone know if there are Brookies up that far?

Last edited:

jmckinl1

Reaction score
Stony clove - plenty of pull offs, streamside parking, and access From phonecia up a few miles. I have not gone much further than a few miles though.

don_p

Reaction score
I'd have a back up plan if I were you. I haven't been up that way today but last I saw Stony Clove was running about half its normal flow due to little rain, as are just about all the smaller streams up this way, ..... except the Esopus, plenty of clean COLD release and lots of bugs. Possible recreational release for the Esopus the weekend of the 14th if you're thinking of the bigger creek.

sjauch

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. The planned release on the Esopus is what has me looking at some alternatives nearby.

I was just riding up that way on Saturday and the streams do appear to be running pretty low. Maybe I’ll wind up hiking instead.