Trout, brookies, near Granville, MA?

acorad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm visiting a relative in Granville, MA, for a week starting this Saturday, 7/21.

I've been reading up on the local rivers/creeks, but dang, there are a lot of them! Too many to choose from!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If it helps, I'd rather catch small fish in a small creek, than fish with multitudes of others.

Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable posting info in public please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks!

Andy

skunkedalot

Reaction score
there is a gent from ct. who has a blog called brk trt.
he specializes in small streams and perhaps- can help you on your quest.
his real name is Alan- he is quite the gent and angler. he knows his stuff.

acorad

Reaction score
Thanks skunkedalot, it looks like he's in CT. I may have to get a CT license in addition to the MA one I just bought...

Andy

mikey_boots

Reaction score
You don't have to go very far. The Westfield River is great water. Numerous spots along route 20 in Westfield and 128 in Huntington. There are 3 branches, The West, Middle and East, all 3 are fishing well with the recent rains. Terrestrials are starting to heat up and Gypsy moths have been falling into the rivers for a few weeks and will continue for a couple more. Tan Stimulators in size 8 -12 have been working well for me, as well as some homemade moth patterns. If you don't hook up dead drifting, try giving it some action and skitter it across top top. Good luck. Look up Littleville and Knightsville Resevoirs. The Middle Branch dumps into the top of Littleville off East River Rd. It is beautiful and favorite of mine. You'll enjoy it even if the fish aren't cooperating.

acorad

Reaction score
Mikey, that sounds awesome!

Do you fish the Gorge on the East Branch? I was looking at it online.

When you say Gypsy moths, do you mean the moths or the caterpillars?

I haven't caught a trout on the surface in a long time (mostly nymphing out here in CA), I can't wait to try it!

Also, are you shore fishing at the reservoir?

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it!

Andy

photoguy

Reaction score
Surprised that it hasn't been mentioned but you're a short drive from the Swift I believe. Exit 8 off the Turnpike. I haven't been out there in a while but it's generally well stocked, easily accessible and while certain spots can get crowded there always seem to be empty stretches, especially on weekdays. For good or bad I've often thought that if Disney designed a trout stream, this would be it. And while I've never fished below Route 9 I'm told that there are lots of rookies there.

acorad

Reaction score
Thanks photoguy, that was kind of the superpopular type of spot I was hoping to avoid, but maybe an early AM visit during the week would be ok.

Andy

photoguy

Reaction score
Thanks photoguy, that was kind of the superpopular type of spot I was hoping to avoid, but maybe an early AM visit during the week would be ok.

Andy
It can be hit or miss numbers wise. I've been there on days that I thought I'd find a lot of others only to have the river almost to myself. Early and weekday are generally good combinations though.

these go to 11

Reaction score
Mikey, that sounds awesome!

Do you fish the Gorge on the East Branch? I was looking at it online.

Andy
The Gorge of the EB is a beautiful place to fish, but be careful wading there. Some of the rocks can be pretty slick. It's probably the only river in MA that I've ever thought that a wading staff would have been a good idea to bring along.

A local guide named Ken Elmer has a blog, and he is not shy about doling out information on local waters. It's easy to find if you google it, and an interesting read. I'd send the link here, but I'm not sure if that is allowed.

mikey_boots

Reaction score
Yes. There's a couple miles of great water downstream of the Gorge. just follow the road a bit and park near the fence and follow the path. That's a great stretch but you may need to hike a bit to get away from the crowds. It is frequented by swimmers, etc especially on the weekends. Others have mentioned the Swift River. I live 5 minutes from the Swift and for all intents and purposes it's my home water. It's a great fishery but can be difficult for out of towners. Often needing to go very small (sz sub 20) and the trout turn very picky a few weeks after being stocked. The fly fishing only section above the rt 9 bridge gets hammered, especially in the summer. Venture 1-2 miles downstream to avoid the same dozen guys standing shoulder to shoulder in the same holes fishing over the same fish day after day. Occasionally you may hit the jackpot and have those spots to yourself, it does happen, but very rare. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Weekdays are better than weekends for that chance. The further downstream you go the better. There is a lot of good water that is always overlooked for those prime well known spots. You also get into quite a bit of native brookies (the state does not stock brookies in the Swift) and there are some monster browns in that slower deeper water downstream with dome pushing double digit weight. These are mostly brood stock browns the state has stocked in the past. I grew up fishing the Swift and do love it, but given the choice, I'll drive the hour to the Westfield branches or some of other good freestones for more solitude. As far as the Gypsy moths, I'm talking about the adults. They don't seem to care for the caterpillers. I've seen them take a few, but not nearly in the numbers as the adults. A 1 -1.5 inch chartreuse San Juan worm makes a good inch worm impression and can be pretty productive in the summer, too. I've tied them with chartreuse foam, too to keep it on the surface. I do not fish the reservoir proper but I do fish right at the mouth where the river dumps into it.

acorad

Reaction score
Thanks these go to 11, it rained basically all day yesterday and flows on the Westfield are in the 1500 cfs range (vs around 80-100). I'll probably find a pond somewhere and throw to the sunfish just to feel a tug.

Andy

acorad

Reaction score
Thanks Mikey, that's great info! Maybe I'll take a swing by the Swift as being a tailwater it probably isn't blown out like the Westfield is.

Andy

acorad

Reaction score
Thanks to all. Turns out I only had to travel about 100 yards. Turns out the blue-line right next to my sister in law's house where we are staying is chock full of brookies. Super fun!

Andy